What's new

Next Spielberg/Cruise Project? (1 Viewer)

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
After their colaboration in Minority Report, Steven Spielberg and Tom Cruise are reportedly going to team up again, this time for a real life war drama. GHOST SOLDIERS, based on the book of the same name, is the real life account of the Bataan Death march, which began after the US surrender in the Philipines early in WW2. The book centers on the POWs in the Japanese prison camp, the cruel and brutal treatment they endured, and the daring, climatic rescue of the POWs from the camp by US Army Rangers and Philipino Guerillas. They plan to rescue them was to not only free the men from the camp, but to also boost moral on the front and at home. It was one of the most daring operations of the war, and certainly on the most memorable exploits of the Rangers. This would sound like a terrific film, in the right hands of course. If you can, read the book, I highly recommend it.

My DVD Collection
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
  • Worker bees can leave.
  • Even drones can fly away.
  • The queen is their slave.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Word is shooting for the film could begin as early next year.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Wow,

I actually have a great Uncle who was on the march, and survived there after 3.5 years....

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm a third of the way into this great book. Highly recommended.:emoji_thumbsup:
However, it seems a bit similar to Saving Private Ryan in some aspects.
Regardless, I Love WWII films, Spielberg films and I thik Tom Cruise is a great actor so I too will be there.:)

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
True, it parallels Private Ryan, since Ryan was sort of based on a true story(they were the Niland Brothers). And since it was kind of a PR mission, to not only raise hopes on the battlefield but also at home. This is an actual story, which shows America during the darkest hours of the war, early 1942, since the surrender of American and Philipino forces was only a few months after Pearl Harbor. The actual raid, I forget when it took place (1944 I think) was orchastrated against overwhelming odds, since the Rangers were up against more Japanese troops than previously thought. Once the raided the Camp and frred the POWs, they had to escape throug the jungles and outrun the hundreds of Japanese troops who were after them. Amazingly, the Americans suffered only light casualties during the Raid.
Still, this is the kind of movie Spielberg could do wonders with, especially with such source material and the assurance that he will get alot of support with the project (since his last WW2 film did pretty good, I think). I can't wait to see it. Although it is unclear what part of the film Tom Cruise will play. He seemed to work well with Spielberg in Minority Report, and they are both good friends. We'll have to see.

My DVD Collection
To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards out of men.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
You know you're a BIG Spielberg fan when you start salivating over the DVD release of a film that won't start shooting for at least another six months :p

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks