What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (8 Viewers)

Travis87

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Travis
Well that's a nice surprise! Guess I'll be making a stop by Target tomorrow then. Are the 24(?) short cartoons the only ones left not released to dvd now?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The Target exclusive is a single disc, with 3 hours of content. The packaging says "Target exclusive For a limited time."

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Ah, do they mean, it's exclusive to Target for a limited time, or it's a limited time only release, though ? :)

This said, if anyone on here would be willing to pick one of these up and send it on to me here in England, I'd be extremely grateful!

All postage costs etc covered of course.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Without having seen the actual package, I would assume exclusive to Target for a limited time...and then it gets rolled out everywhere. That's the way most of the things tend to go.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Do they have the Legion of Doom in the World's Greatest Superfriends? (I find the various Superfriends incarnations very confusing).

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Yes. Lots! In fact AFAIK it originated in Challenge of the SuperFriends.

For some reason they all decide to live in a headquarters that looks like Darth Vader's helmet and spends most of it;s time submerged under a swamp :)

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Nebiroth said:
Yes. Lots! In fact AFAIK it originated in Challenge of the SuperFriends.
But not in the World's Greatest season in question--The Legion only appeared during the Challenge season of half-hour full episodes, and seems to be the more fondly remembered with DC fans.
World's Greatest followed the standard anthology of one big story and five little stories, not to mention that the Wonder Twins never appeared in Challenge.

(And my mistake, seems the Target disk WOULD be the debut of of the World's Greatest long-episodes. Which, it should be warned, are some of the goofiest of the entire eight-year run, but to some, that's its charm.)

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
I think one of my favourites is Colossus (not yet released) where Apache Chief "En-ek-chock"s multiple times over until he is much bigger than the whole Earth. According to Wiki his tribal powers were originally limited to making him about 50 feet tall, but he learnt to extend it to unlimted size from The Atom.

The phrase apparently means "Big Man" in the Apache language.

The episode is notable for the create in question to literally put Earth into a bottle as a toy!

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Nebiroth said:
These are the 1980-1983 episodes and are the biggest gap. This series added yet another "ethnic diversity" hero, El Dorado - previously we got Black Vulcan, Apache Chief and Samurai
Not to mention that even though the Wonder Twins have now been ushered into DC print canon, they were originally created for the show--
In 70's Saturday morning, the rule was "Follow the lead of popular movies/TV", and...just wanna see, how many here are actually OLD enough to remember Donny & Marie's show making jokes about purple socks, and "Cute, Marie, real cute"?

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
Nebiroth said:
I think one of my favourites is Colossus (not yet released) where Apache Chief "En-ek-chock"s multiple times over until he is much bigger than the whole Earth. According to Wiki his tribal powers were originally limited to making him about 50 feet tall, but he learnt to extend it to unlimted size from The Atom.

The phrase apparently means "Big Man" in the Apache language.

The episode is notable for the create in question to literally put Earth into a bottle as a toy!
Yes I remember a cartoon where he said his phrase multiple times. Thank you for confirming its existence!

Good thing the villain du juor didn't have a cup of coffee on him, eh? ;-)

Anyway to reply to other posts...I didn't know the remaining "lost" shorts made two seasons. I stand corrected. Also, the Legion of Doom primarily starred in Challenge, but representatives from the group returned in said lost shorts. And Lex and Brainiac would return as solo acts in the Super Powers seasons. As would the Scarecrow in one of the most memorable SF/SP episodes, the one that first presented Batman's origin on TV no less!

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Did anyone make it to a target today to get a copy?I'm going to try a Toronto store tomorrow, I'm not confident thatthey'll have it, but I'll give it a shot.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Travis87 said:
I stopped by while I was out today and grabbed one. And I've watched half of it so far.
These are some of my favourite and most memorable episodes of the series. I'm glad to have bought them today. I wonder if they plan to release the rest of them as we get closer to the Man of Steel theater and home video release?

Do anyone have any ideas as to what we should expect for the next HB release? I purchased the Roman Holidays today. Can wait for the next installment in the HB library!

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Nebiroth said:
I'm assuming TVShowsOnDVD don't report such exclusives because they would, essentially, be doing free adverts for the store - in this case Target.
Interesting thought they report on Warner Archive titles when they are exclusive to the Warner online shop for a small period of time, yet for a target exclusive, which is also for a small period of exclusivity, they look over it. Doesnt make any since to me and is bad for the consumer that reads that website for making buying decisions. And how is it any different I ask??

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Towergrove said:
Doesnt make any since to me and is bad for the consumer that reads that website for making buying decisions. And how is it any different I ask??
I like tvshowsondvd a lot, so this isn't really a criticism,But they seem aligned with Amazon for their paid adsand I'm ok with that. It would be nice though if they didmention releases like this SuperFriends. There is a lot less good news for retro fans theses days, and if you didn't tell us about the target ad, we might have missed the news.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
derosa said:
I like tvshowsondvd a lot, so this isn't really a criticism,But they seem aligned with Amazon for their paid adsand I'm ok with that. It would be nice though if they didmention releases like this SuperFriends. There is a lot less good news for retro fans theses days, and if you didn't tell us about the target ad, we might have missed the news.
Thanks Derosa. I really like tvshowsondvd too. It's funny though but I would have missed the Superfriends DVD if I wasn't perusing the ads for a new springtime clothes. Didn't find my dress but I've got my Superfriends (hehe).

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
I went to a Target store in Toronto this morning,
but they didn't have the SuperFriends dvd.
No staff around knew anything, I guess it's only
in the USA stores right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks