What's new

newbie stuff again (1 Viewer)

Drew_H

Auditioning
I just want to be sure that if I buy a system for around $1000-1500 that everything works. How can I be sure that everything I hear will be surround sound and not just stereo?
is it impossible to have everything surround sound?
how many inputs should I have on the receiver? how many outputs?
Should they be composite or s video?
should I get a new TV? The one I have only has composite in does that mean that everything has to be composite?
I want to run everything through the receiver?
How do I hook up the cable that comes out of the wall to the receiver?
I know you guys can help me here.
thanks for all the help.
Drew ;)

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
How do I hook up the cable that comes out of the wall to the receiver?
You don't. The cable coming from the wall needs to go to your VCR or TV first. There (usually) is no TV tuner in the receiver and there is no input for cable television. Once the cable is run to the VCR then to the TV you can run audio cables from the VCR or TV to the receiver for sound. If you want to use the receiver for video switching then you can do the same with video cables from the VCR.

Drew_H

Auditioning
thanks Bill,

I just can't grasp this stuff. I can't see spending that much on a HT especially when the stupid thing wont work all the time.

The problem I have (I think) is that when I run the audio out of the vcr it only has left and right will that still get decoded by the reciever because it didn't on the system I had before.

I still don't know if I will be happy spending $1500 on one of these systems, on the other hand I can definetly appreciate quality TV and audio.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
...especially when the stupid thing wont work all the time.
I have no idea what you mean by that.
The receiver, if capable of at least Dolby Pro-logic, will output surround sound from the VCR as long as:
  • The VCR is "Hi-fi" and has stereo outputs
  • The tape you are watching is encoded in Dolby Surround
    or
  • The TV show is in fact being broadcast in Dolby Surround (sometimes the show may say it's in Dolby Surround, but your cable company is only broadcasting in stereo, or even mono)
  • You have surround speakers plugged into the surround speaker outputs on the receiver/amp
  • You have the "Surround" feature turned on in the receiver
It's the same thing with DVD, but DVD is also capable of 5.1 digital sound that is superior to Dolby Pro-logic.
The thing with surround sound is that it's not feeding all the speakers with the same audio. So it may only sound like there's no noise coming out of the surround speakers. Dialog goes to the front center speaker. The front left and right are usually for music/sound effects and left to right pans. The surrounds (or rear speakers) are for ambient noise and sometimes music, rear special effects, or front and back pans. You won't hear noise coming out of all the speakers at the same time. But you will hear something when there's something there.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Drew, allow me give you a couple pieces of basic information that may clarify some issues for you and ease your concerns:
The Receiver is the brain of the entertainment system. The receiver will process sound from the various audio sources (DVD player, TV, VCR, Cable, Satellite, Internal Tuner, etc...) and send the sound to speakers you connect to the receiver. You can use the receiver to switch video sources (i.e. select the desired connected video input from the receiver to display on your TV) but the receiver does not alter the video signal in any way. Good entry level receiver begin in the ~$300 range.
The Speakers are connected to the receiver. For music, you will generally use only the left and right or Main speakers. The Mains are also used for movie soundtracks and surround sound for processing sounds to the left and right of the screen, like a car driving by. For movies and other audio sources for which you want surround sound, you will use a Center Channel speaker, which is mainly used for dialogue in movies and TV. The center channel actually produces most of a movie soundtrack. The rear Surround Speakers reproduce directional sound effects, like a helicopter flying around or other "ambient" sounds. A Subwoofer produces the low bass for music and movies. Speakers and subwoofers vary greatly in price. I suggest buying good speakers as you can afford them, beginning with mains.
The TV has the demanding task of producing images for TV and video sources. You can hook up video sources directly to the TV (Component is best, then S-Video, then Composite, then RF cable) if you have enough imputs. Alternatively, as mentioned above you can route video sources through a receiver. It may be better for the "newbie" to have at least a 27" TV with S-video input and a 16:9/anamorphic mode. Such TVs should be in the ~$750 range.
Some Connection basics...It is possible to have everything in surround--although it may not sound great that way. Receivers with Dolby Pro Logic II capabilities will do a better job of creating suround sound from stereo sources like most TV/cable and VHS than the old standard of regular Pro Logic.
The cable from the wall goes directly to the VCR and then to the TV--if you want to be able to record cable. You can also run it directly to the TV. Bill has great advice on planning for inputs/outputs.
Good luck and welcome to the forum!
-Chris

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Drew,

If you're really obsessed with having all your speakers going all the time, but a receiver with a feature called "5 channel stereo" (most denon products off this). This will make it so it will play stuff in "stereo" and it will double the front channels to the rears.

To be honest, the is annoying as hell when watching TV (voices coming from behind you suck)-- but if all you're worried about is "making the stupid thing work all the time"-- then that will provide a solution.

But I think you'll find the goal is not to provide neato loud sounds behind you all the time- really that is a gimmick that will wear off quickly. You'll find that sounds that simply envelope you without specific attention to exact position will be more pleasing.

The goal is to create an environment, not just to show off. The Price Is Right doesn't need to be in surround sound!

-V

Drew_H

Auditioning
I like that Price Is Right thats funny stuff!

anyway I have cooloed down a little since yesterday and now I am looking at the Kenwood HTB-504DV. I has dolby Prologic II and a DVD player and will leave me a good $700 for a new TV.

Also I am moving and I'm going to get digital cable at my new place and that should solve my problem of having to run my video through my VCR. I don't even want a VCR.

Does anyone have any experience with this DVD player that comes with this system?

Again I can't say how helpful this board has been even though I seem to be so pessimistic this has helped me a lot!

Drew

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks