What's new

Newbie needs some basic help - coax vs. HDMi and so on (1 Viewer)

pnut

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
What is an HDMI cable (I know what it means, but that's it)? Is it basically the "new" version of coax cables (make the same style connections)?

Will newer LCD TV's still have old style coax connections so I can use my old receiver?

In my searching, I've seen what looks like color coded connections on the back of new receivers / TV's. Are those HDMi or something else?

I'm getting a new LCD, and want to use my old receiver and DVD player for now (both very outdated but good quality). Thanks in advance.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
HDMI is an all digital connection, the "coax" cables you speak of are analog, at least for everything but coax audio, that is. Being digital, the HDMI interface allows for strict copy protection, which is why most upconverting DVD players will only upconvert over HDMI.

As to your other questions, yes TV's will still be sold with component connections for the foreseeable future, so you can still use your old receiver.

Devilish21ca

Agent
Real Name
David Sheedy
HDMI carries both audio AND video in one cable (so, in away, it's like coaxle cable). The advantage is that the resolution on the video is much higher, and the audio much clearer. For example, 5.1 audio can travel over HDMI. No so much with coax cables.

The colour coded connections you are seeing are for component video (red, blue, green) and are the next best thing to HDMI for video. You would still need an audio connection (to either your TV or to your reciever). Depending on the age of your reciever, your best bet is probably optical cable to the reciever from your source (DVD player or cable box).

Coax will be available for the foreseeble future on the back of a TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks