What's new

Newbie needs help! (1 Viewer)

Troy S

Agent
Hello all-
I am building a new house and just finished wiring for speakers. I went with 14g all around and now need to pick out a system. I currently have an older 2 channel system with the typical large 3-way speakers. Would like to go to smaller speakers and at least a 5.1 system. Will be 80% movies and 20% music and really like strong bass.

I would like to start with something small and lower budget until I finish the basement with more of a HT room. I have been reading up on all of the HTIB systems and Onkyo 570 and 770 keep coming up as getting good reviews.

Can you guys shed some light on this? The room is 15 x 17 opening on one end to the kitchen all with 9 foot ceilings. Carpeted floor and big windows on one side. All walls will be insulated.

What else do you need to know? Will one of the Onkyo sytems match my needs at this point?

Thanks!

John S

Senior HTF Member
The beauty of that Onkyo systems are the fact they come with a real, fairly robust AVR at their heart.

You really can't go to wrong with it, as you get some much for your money. It allows you to replace the items you are not happy with over time, having a fully capable complete system while your doing it, and still comming out way ahead on price in the end.

I think I am helping to install one of the 770s this Wednessday night in a living room environment. Knowing my neighbor, I'm sure I will be doing the entire install actuially. They just picked up an HDTV yesterday, he asked me about a sound system and the Onkyp is the one I suggested for him to get.

Troy S

Agent
I appreciate the info. That is pretty much my thought process, but I am just getting into this and need help in doin so. Any thoughts on the 570 vs. the 770 models?

How would you compare Yamaha into this equation?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to Home Theater Forum, Troy.

Please note the following, posted atop the Basics-area thread-listing page:

And that is why your post is located now in the A/V Sources area. Thank you.

John S

Senior HTF Member
You said you like heavy bass????

Which ever system has the larger subwoofer, would probably be the one for you. My $500 cure for heavy bass is a velodyne CHT-15 Subwoofer.... You could probably sell the sub that came with what ever system to help with that cost.

The 770 system, and even the systems that came before it in this onkyo HTIB line are usually more than good enough to satisfy most non-audiophile types.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks