What's new

newbie help: dvd/stb/xbox: do i need 3 toslink inputs? (1 Viewer)

peter rustin

Agent
hi--i'm going to soon buy an a/v receiver for my mits 55809, which has 3 component inputs. i have narrowed it down to an outlaw 1050 or an hk avr-520.

if the outlaw, i would, i guess, hook up audio to the reciver and video to the mits; if the hk, i could do the same or use component video switching

but: to get dd5.1 , must i use a toslink cable from my dish 6000/panny rp56 dvd and xbox?? if so, am i screwed, cuz either receiver only has 2 toslink inputs. or, does anyone know if i can get dolby 5.1 using other audio ouputs from xbox/rp56/dish 6000?

do any recievers have 3 toslink inputs?

thanks all!!!

Todd_Michael_R

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Peter,
Yes you need a digital connection to receive digital surround sound formats like DD5.1, DTS, etc...
But no, Toslink is not the only option :)
Coax Digital Input is another way to transfer a digital signal. I'm not familar with the receiver your about to purchase myself but check to see if it has Coax Digital In as well as Toslink. If so and your DVD player has Coax Digital Out, you're in luck.
Otherwise, look into other receivers or purchase a Toslink switching box for your X-Box and DVD player - switching the input appropriately as needed.
Best of luck,
Todd
Edit: I didn't suggest any receivers...my bad! :) The Denon 1802 has 3 digital inputs (2 optical, 1 coax) the 2802 and 3802 have 4 assignable digital inputs (3 optical, and 1 coax IIRC).

StevenK

Second Unit
BTW, the H/K AVR520 has THREE Toslink inputs, not 2. But the 3rd one is in the front (ugh!).

StevenK

Second Unit
just curious, but why can't you use the coaxial digital out on the RP56?

Also, have you checked out the onkyo's? my old 676 had 3 toslinks I believe.

Jim Prillaman

Stunt Coordinator
OR--can i get a toslink to coaxial adapter--i think i saw a couple on line--do they work?
One of these? (EDIT: I can't seem to get to PartsExpress at the moment, so this link may not work...) I've never tried one, but I've heard that they work. Both the Outlaw 1050 and the H/K 520 offer a coax input (two coax in the H/K) that could become a toslink input with one of these converters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks