What's new

Newb Questions. (1 Viewer)

Michael_A_D

Auditioning
I wanna build a decent home theatre in my basement. The setup will be used for about 33% movies, 33% gaming, 33% audio. I was thinking about getting a set of Polk R40 floor standing speakers, the Polk CS175i for the center channel, and 2 Polk f/x 300i for surround. What do you guys think about that speaker setup, im assuming the polk floor standing speakers can replace the sub. Now for players and stuff I just want a DVD player, a CD player, PS2, other gaming systems. Also my computer will be hooked up for TV out and TV in (so I can play video games on the big system). The only components im not sure of is the TV (I was thinking one of those Sony Triniton WEGA flat screen deals at 32" but its a bit pricey.) I know you guys know your stuff so suggest a TV for me. And the last item on the list is the receiver. Has to be a quality item with enough inputs and such for all the rest of my equipment. All together im lookin at spending 2K - 3K over the next 3-4 months to put this together.
------------------

Martin G

Second Unit
I have a similar setup to the one you are proposing, with only one change. I have the 245i center channel. The speakers are incredibly clear for music, but they might not have the power that you want in HT speakers. They work great for my setup (I am in a rather small apartment with concert hall like acoustics). You will find that you need a subwoofer though, the r40's can't really get that deep of a bass response. For a while polk offered a free subwoofer with $599 purchase, but that promotion might be over with by now.

Boaty McBoatface

Second Unit
Real Name
Billy Posey
First, Do you have any equipment now? Also are you looking for your PS2 to serve as your Main DvD player or are you looking for a separate component to do the dvd playing? Do you have an Idea of the cost of the polk speaker system.
As for the Polk tower speakers replacing the need for a sub woofer, I believe is dependant on the set up and size of the room. I have a Klipsch tower sytem and it did a pretty good job of playing the low notes until I was able to get a power sub. But I still wanted the extra low omphf.
Do You know what kind of features that you want in your sub? After explaining that it will be easier to recommend a model for you.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks