What's new

Newb looking for a cheap but QUALITY HT setup.... (1 Viewer)

Joey R.

Auditioning
I know close to nothing about the specs or anything about home theaters setups and I don't have much time to learn about them.

I don't have a 8 thousand bucks to spend on my own private movie theater. In fact, I don't even have $500. All I have is 300 measly dollars and not a penny over (that includes tax).

I need 5.1 Surround Sound and I would like a DVD player but I can live without one.

Keep in mind that I will use this setup mainly for watching NFL Sunday Ticket, DVD's and playing my PS2.

I have checked out a few setups on a couple websites, but being a newbie I am still clueless.

Here are the setups I have been looking at:

1. Sony 575W Dolby Digital/DTS/PLII Home Theater Audio System from BestBuy.com

2. Logitech Z-680 that can be seen at Logitech.com

(sorry, the forum would not allow me to post direct links until I have a few more posts)

I know the second one I listed is built for PC's but a lot of reviews on amazon.com said they have these speakers setup on their TV's and that it sounds great.

I am depending on you guys to give me some sound advise and suggestions. Thanks.

craig_curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Craig
well, if you are using your PS2 as a DVD player, you should look at the logitech 680's. I've heard lots of good things about them. You might also consider the Klipsch promedia gmx5.1 system for about the same price. I got some for christmas and they sound pretty good (the klipsch).

my only fear of the sony system is that they have to compromise somewhere, and its usually in the speaker department.. the subwoofer is usually very underpowered, and the satellite speakers i've heard from those systems usually sound very tinny.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to HTF, Joey.

Please post here when asking about specific HTiBs. The Basics area is not for specific model recommendations but for general discussion at the beginner level.

Best of luck.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I'd recommend the Fluance AV-HTB set @ www.fluance.com and a refurbed Onkyo TX-SR501 or SR500 and a cheap Sony sub for a very good cheap setup if you had $450-500 to work with...but $300 is tough to get a "cheap but quality HT setup". The generally recommended decent quality HTIB setups are about $400-500 as well. If you end up with just a little more cash, I would recommend the Fluance AB-HTB speakers for $199 + shipping (about $250 shipped).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks