What's new

new wiring in existing walls help!! (1 Viewer)

paul koster

Agent
First, sorry that this may be a long post and 2nd, if this is wrong forum, please post in correct one.

I just put in 4 recessed light fixtures that I plan to run with 2 dimmer switches. The switches will also need to be installed. I got lazy and ran short on time, so I figured that I would call an electrician. I also called one b/c I am really unsure on how to run the power to the system-more on this later. Well, electrician quoted me $750 big ones to wire the lights to the switch and to the power. He said that it would cost $250 for each light and that the price he quoted me was b/c I installed the cans. He also said that if I bought the romex, it would cost only $565 to do the work.

I dealt with this company before will satisfactory results, but this guy just pulled this number out of the air. He said he's done enough of these to know what it costs. I believe him, but still, I told him I wanted to see his pricing book to get itemized breakdown of cost. Well, he said he forgot it in his "other truck." So I said no. I have never done this and I don't know what is reasonable. I could, of course, call several other companies just to get a better deal, but I think I might be able to most of this myself.

For those of you who had lights installed and wired in existing walls, does $250/light make sense?

So now for all you experts on electrical wiring, here are several questions:

1. When I get the wire do I need 14/2 or 14/3? The dimmer switches have 2 hot and 1 negative, so it stands to reason that I would need 3 wires running to the switch. Or does the one hot run to the power and the other to the lights? If that's the case why is there not 2 negatives- one to power and one to lights?

2. When wiring the 2 cans to one switch, do I wire one can in series to the other then run wire to the switch? Then does the wire run to power?

3. Is it easier to tap into an exisitng power- say running a ceiling fan or run to a new breaker?

I remember some of my college physics to know this is a fairly simple setup and I do have an old book on wiring your home, but I need some verification that I am thinking along the right path. If all else fails, I could wire everything and call an electrician and have him run it to the power.

If you can't answer, maybe you can point me in the right direction to a website that may be able to help.

Thanks for your time!
Paul

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Ordinarily I’d say “No way,” but you neglected to tell us if it will be easy for him to do the wiring – like, if the walls are open, or if there’s ample attic access above the lights, etc. If the answer to that is “no,” then things get ugly and expensive in a hurry.

To answer the rest of your questions, I first need to know if this is an existing room where there’s already power (say, outlets, lights, etc.) or new construction with no power.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

JKL1960

Agent
Real Name
Jim
I hate to say it but your three questions are very, very basic electrical things. If you don't know the answers I recommend you hire a pro.

1. One hot comes from power the other goes to the light. The 'negative' or common doesn't need in and out as it isn't switched. The dimmer should also have a ground. 14/2 is fine.

2. The lights get hooked in parallel not series.

3. Easier isn't always right. If you are going to branch in a circuit you have to count the items and determine its potential load. Branching isn't always easy either. You have to splice in a box. The box might be full. There are rules on how many wires and connections a box can hold. If you use a junction box it can't be concealed (at least where I am).

As was pointed out this wiring job might be more difficult than it appears and hence the cost. You could try another electrician to see what he quotes.

C&K

Agent
Real Name
Chris
I've tapped into ceiling fans for some recessed cans...except you can't do that if you want a dimmer switch on them. It's probably not to code.

Also those recessed light box kits never come with the little clamps for the wire in the metal electrical boxes on the cans. How did you end up doing it?

AndrewW

Stunt Coordinator
I know for new construction I only paid $45 ea. installed. I know it's different, but that sounds like way too much money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks