What's new

New TV purchase. Help needed... (1 Viewer)

brett 06473

Auditioning
I am looking to pick up a new TV and I am looking to drop roughly 3K. I was thinking either DLP or LCD rear projection and i'd like 40+ inches. Any thoughts??? I am open to pther technologies as well. I was at Tweeter and looked at the sony KF42WE610 and Mitsu WD52525. Would you advise of a good place to purchase as well if possible. I am sure I can get a better price than from BestBuy, CC,...., but would it be better for warranty purposes to bu there? Thanks in advance for the help.

Brett

SimiA

Second Unit
Both technologies have their pros and cons. I think that the DLP has a little edge in PQ, but that opinion is subjective. Some here adore LCD, but my eyes find the picture not as crisp.
The DLP has a bulb that has to be replace about every 3-5k hours, and the cost is $300 and up.
I would look for one that has the latest HD2+ chip, and a 7 segment color wheel.
Another option in your budget is plasma.
When I went shopping, I looked at every technology, brought my own DVD's to view, played with the settings, and basicly drove the salespeople crazy.
I ended up with a plasma, which I purchased on line for a lot less than a B&M store.
Since you're going to spend serious $$$, might I suggest you look at evey set and technology you can, and see which PQ appears best to you.
Know what will your viewing habits will be, such as DVD, HD, SD, or games. That should give you a better frame of reference when making your decision.
Good luck, Vb

brett 06473

Auditioning
Thanks for the input. I plan mostly to watch sports programming and DVDs. I think my quest will take a bit longer as I run into somehting new I want to see every day. I actually like the Mitsu 52525 DLP as far as PQ, but i just saw the new Toshiba and was also wondering about Hitachi. Keep the feedback flowing. Is plasma a real option for 3K and if so is the PQ comparable, better,.....

SimiA

Second Unit
I like the PQ of plasma better than the other 2 technologies, but I think you'll have to judge for yourself. To me, it's more realistic, more 3D looking.
I got my plasmas for less then $2400 & $2300 respectively.
I've got the 2 listed below in my sig.
If you do go to see some plasma sets, I'd bring some DVD's to view. Sometimes the stores do not have them set up correctly, and it's hard to make judgement on how good the PQ actually is.
Play with the settings, like lowering the contrast and brightness so you're not viewing them in torch mode.
Try to stand at the distance you'll be viewing the set at home, if it's possible.
Vb

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks