What's new

New Toshiba DVD player, SD-310V. Any comments? (1 Viewer)

Eric Massey

Agent
I was recently given a toshiba DVD player, model SD-310V. Apparantly, this is a new model because I can find very little information about it online. I don't think it is progressive scan unfortunately, but I played star wars II on it and it seemed to do well enough for my mid-fi setup.
My question is, does anyone know anything about this player, as far as reliability, picture quality, and features are concerned? I'm still exploring this product, but I don't know much about what to look for since this is my first DVD player. So far I think it seems pretty nice, but I could always exchange it if I find out it lacks some feature that I should have (am I just creating stupid reasons to spend more money?).
The feature of the SD-310V are:
DVD/DVD-R/CD/CD-R/CD-RW/Video CD
-multi format playback
10 bit, 27MHz Video DAC
-for unsurpassed digital picture quality
ColorStream Component Video Output
-best connection for superior color detail and resolution
24 bit, 192kHz Audio DAC
-for naturaldigital audio quality
MP3/CDR disc
-playback of compatible MP3 files
Picture Zoom
-examine special effects close up
Dialouge Expander
-reproduces hard to understand passages

Matt Meyer

Stunt Coordinator
Your dvd player is 1 of 3 with the new "Q sound" technology which is a virtual surround thingy. The only one to be formally posted on Tosh's website is the SD1800 so you could gain some info from that model, although I'm not sure if your model has more, less or the same feature list. Not much has been made about these players here in the states other than news blurbs back in September. Otherwise if it was free and it satifies you, what the hell enjoy it! :)
Matt

Eric Massey

Agent
Thanks for the reply Matt. I took a look at the SD-1800 on Toshiba's website and it looks almost exactly the same as my 310V, except it's black and mine's silver. In fact, the SD-310V and SD-1800 share the same owner's manual. Besides the color, I don't know if there's any difference at all. This seems unlikely, however, since the model numbers are so drastically different.

In any event, I'm only using a 27" Panasonic CT-27D32 non-flat screen TV so I doubt I would really benefit too much from any of the higher-end DVD players, even though I kind of wanted the panasonic RP62. The Toshiba seems great so far, hopefully it will be something I can keep for a while.

Neil Weinstock

Stunt Coordinator
Could that be one of Costco's renumbered models? Their Toshiba DVD's always have different numbering from everyone else's, though I believe they're otherwise the same. I vaguely recall the numbers looking something like that, though I can't remember specific models.

Might be that other chains sell the renumbered models as well; I only know I've seen them in Costco.

Eric Massey

Agent
That's an interssting possibility, however it was purchased at circuit city. Maybe CC uses the same model numbers as costco, but I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks