What's new

New THX trailer - A BIG workout for your sub (1 Viewer)

JackIR

Stunt Coordinator
I recently bought the new release of Indiana Jones DVD. At the begining of the movie it has a new THX trailer that says -- Let's see it in THX. This trailer has the LFE pumped up with more low bass than I have ever heard!! Makes Lord of the Rings sound timid.

Give it a try.:D

GrantM

Stunt Coordinator
Is this the same version that is on the Ultimate THX DVD? I know there are one or more "Let's see it in THX" trailers on there. I haven't pulled it out to check, but I couldn't tell anything different about the Indy THX trailer.

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
Don't know about the indy trailer, but the THX trailer, Cavalcade found in SW2:AOTC is a tough one for subs.

The waterfalls indicate bass depth down to single digit frequencies. Can't wait to have a look at the waterfalls for this indy trailer thou.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Whats a sub work-out? Three 25-31CS+'s can handle any thing!
Smooth and clean.....I never like to toot my own horn though.:rolleyes::rolleyes:Darn Bass Heads! ;)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The "ball" on the SW discs is very cool, but the best is easily the T2:Ulitmate Edition intro (the ball was obviously based on this one). The intro was created for the T2:UE disc and is only available on this disc, AFAIK. The Indy ones are much better than the original THX. The Disney opener on The Lion King was pretty cool too.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
The Indy THX trailer has a sustained bass rumble at a volume that the SW "ball" THX trailer does not. It was the first time I have heard my sub under distress :frowning:

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor

I'm not so sure about this. The SW ball exploding (Cavalcade Trailer) does contain some of the deepest bass on DVD, but it is short-lived since it's just in the explosion. However, Cavalcade still has the reverse sweeps associated with many THX trailers and the bottom frequency on Cavalcade is around 18-19Hz.

The Indy THX trailer's sweep does go deep, but I'd be surprised if it is significantly lower than Cavalcade's.

JKS

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
The Indy THX trailer has a sustained bass rumble at a volume that the SW "ball" THX trailer does not.
Yes it has a sustained rumble,but the Cavalcade has 2 very quick "punches" that reaches deeper though only for a second or so.Maybe Ming can do chart on both?

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor

He's already done Cavalcade. HERE (as well as the T2 THX trailer, immediately below Cavalcade, since it was also mentioned)

Also, here is the standard THX (Broadway) trailer from SVS's waterfall charts.

Wouldn't mind seeing the new Indy trailer chart, though, Ming. :)

JKS

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I saw that. I noticed there was less bass in the T2 intro, and you can definitely hear the trailing 20Hz in the Cavalcade vs the T2 one. The bubble burst is more potent than the T2 explosion, but the T2 one is just cooler :D

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
When I first got T2:UE, I still had a HTiB setup so I didn't notice anything special about the THX trailer. After reading this thread, I tried it last night on my new(er) setup, which includes an SVS 22-31PCi. It was 15dB below reference. When that thing went off, I really jumped... and was wondering if the missus, who was in the bedroom, would come running out to see what the commotion was about... :b

I shudder to think what would happen if I ran it at reference... :D

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Why shudder? Just do it!
That is inadvisable.

The exploding ball Cavalcade trailers on T2-UE and SW-PM are mastered criminally hot.

Playing these trailers at Dolby Reference Level with the sub running a bit hot is a recipe for a blown subwoofer unless you have a huge amount of headroom in the bass department.

terence

Supporting Actor
I wonder if the guys mixing these criminally hot bass trailers/DVD's know that they are over the top in bass?

If so, what is the point...bragging rights? One movie comes to mind Star Wars AOTC is very HOT IMO.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
The crux of the problem lies in the difference between the DVD mix level and the trailer mix level.

SW-PM is a perfect example. That DVD is mixed at a pretty low volume, and I can actually play it at true Dolby Reference Level with no problems on my system. Center channel dialogue and surround levels are just about right at Reference Level and while the bass is certainly hot, it is not in danger of overloading the sub.

Trying playing the THX Cavalcade trailer on that same DVD at Dolby Reference Level and you'll more than likely bottom out the sub or outright ruin the driver. While I have not measured it, I would estimate the exploding globe peaks at around 6 dB higher than anything in the movie soundtrack itself, for any given Master Volume setting.

That IMO is criminal when it results in a damaged sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks