What's new

New SVS woofer & the MASS 2012 C24 (1 Viewer)

Tyler

Stunt Coordinator
I just checked out SVS news page and it shows there new woofer for there new subs.
For some reason it looks like the same woofer as the MASS 2012 C24 & the mass woofer also looks like the Aireal Acoustics SW-12 sub woofer.
Can the mass put out the same kind of performence of the new svs woofers ?

KonradN

Stunt Coordinator
actually both the mass and svs new woofer are manufactured by tc sound I believe so they look very similar. I am not sure about performance though.

Brandon B

Second Unit
While the new SVS woofer (TV12) is, as Konrad says, sourced from the same OEM (TC Sounds) as the MASS, the TV12 is made to Tom Vodhanel's specs and is therefore, I would guess, somewhat more capable as it has custom tweaks of his design. There will likely be some other differences as the MASS, while very capable as a DIY in-home driver, was designed as a autosound unit and may have some specs tailored toward this end.
Audiomobile is supposedly coming out with a new MASS 3012 in August that may narrow this gap. Somone else more in tune with this area might have more info.
BB

Julian Data

Second Unit
Sub-a-dub-rub:
The TV12, MASS, Aerial, as well as the Stryke HE15 are manufactured by TC Sound.
The first three drivers have a Xmax p-p of 2". :) The TV12 and MASS seem to have the same motors. But we don't know unless TV reveils the T/S parameters, especially air gap height and VC height.
As for the MASS 3000 series, I just have a sneaking suspicion that's it's going have higher XmaX, DUH! :)And this time a higher sensitivity - I hope. As the MASS 2012 calculated sensitivity is 85.XdB. It will also use a new frame and it's power rating will be higher than the current. Audiomobile will also be releasing an sub in between their two current lines, EVO-R and will introduce their first 15" driver. Then there's the APEX subs that are more economical than the current EVO.
The 3015 is going to be a monster with 2KW RMS.
eek.gif

I think sometime next year, Adire is coming out with a "cast" driver with more Xmax. :) I also feel given the responses at other forums that Adire will have drivers with lower Re for the car audio apps since the requests are so high.
Then there there are the new drivers from Blueprint. The 15" driver is interesting to say at least.
I think the next coming months/year is going to be an exciting one at that!
biggrin.gif

------------------

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
Guys,
Is it exactly a MASS 2012? obviously not, look at the dustcap
wink.gif
. Any differences between these 2 drivers are very small if any based on what is known and posted about each driver. It's an awesome driver, but "worlds finest"??? I think that's a bit generous of a statement. Who got too excited in the marketing department? I have sitting at home a TC HE-12 which out weighs this one by a few pounds, with longer mechanical travel. Is it better? No, just different.
As for the refference to the Aerial SW-12 driver, these are different. The only elements shared between the SW-12 driver and the TV-12 is the aluminum cone and cast basket. The Aerial driver is a conventional overhung design with ~15-16mm of coil overhang, and 2" of mechanical travel. There are some very nice subwoofers available right now, many of which can be implemented in wildly different end applications. Never forget that it is the complete subwoofer system which gives us the great results, not just quality parts, much like tools in skilled vs. novice hands. Of course this is in fact one of the strengths of SVS. All of the designs have been "torture tested" by TV and tweaked to make what SVS sees as the best compromises for each product.
Remember, keep things in perspective, else you start ending up like the audiophile fanatics who fall into the "amp of the month club." Let's try not to create a new "driver of the month club" and keep our focus on the applications and benefits of different product and components.
Regards,
Mark Seaton

Julian Data

Second Unit
Mark,
Very well put as it is the TOTAL sum of the system.
Jack:
Link Removed
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks