What's new

New Star Wars DVD-ROM Preview? (1 Viewer)

Kami

Screenwriter
Wow...mind blowing special effects but not much else. Did anyone else think the dialogue in this trailer was absoutely TERRIBLE?
"I'm a jedi.."
"A jedi....whaddya know"
"He went that way!"
"This is a shortcut....i think" (since when do jedi's doubt themselves like that?)
"I decided to come and rescue you..."
"Good job" (worst ending line for a trailer ever!)
Other than that, I can't wait to see it. I just hope the whole movie isn't like that and some dummy picked a few bad scenes for the trailer. I'm really surprised at the quality of the special effects though...to me, I can notice a huge difference from episode 1.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
It definetely looks darker than TPM - which is a good thing.
But I really hope the dialog is better than what the trailer shows. I know this is only a small trailer and it may not be a true indication of the actual film, but the characters still look lifeless (much like TPM).

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
quote: "He went that way!"
"This is a shortcut....i think" (since when do jedi's doubt themselves like that?)
He's a jedi-in-training and he's 18-years-old. He certainly doesn't have Yoda's wisdom yet. The running theme of this movie will be Anakin's impetuousness and how Obi-Wan tries (unsuccessfully, if Ep. IV - VI are any indication) to deal with it. This is just another example.
quote: "I decided to come and rescue you..."
"Good job" (worst ending line for a trailer ever!)
I like it, myself, and I can guarantee you there are far worse trailer enders. Once again, Anakin took it upon himself to mount a rescue and ended up captured alongside Obi-Wan. He knows he screwed up and is ashamed of himself. And, it appears Obi-Wan is starting to get fed up with him.
From the comments in the thread in Movies, I'm in the minority. Most agree with you about those lines. But, I don't mind. I call 'em as I see 'em, and this trailer--along with Choices and Breathing--has me extremely excited.
[Edited last by Greg_S_H on November 09, 2001 at 09:42 PM]

Richard Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
Well, the packaging is misleading. It seems that you not only need a DVD-ROM on your computer, but also one equipped with DVD software or hardware decoding. Some of us (cough) prefer to buy OEM components to greatly reduce cost, so although I can insert and see the installers on the DVD, everything bails saying it can't initialize the decoder. I guess the decoder is critical, because Starwars.com complains that it could not detect the DVD in my drive (although I can browse it myself).
Anyway, after seeing the link provided here and watching the small trailer, I have to say I agree with others here -- there appears to be no form of emotion in the acting. The dialogue (what little we've seen so far) seems to be bone dry and read verbatim from a cue card. Even Samuel Jackson, who I know can act, just doesn't seem to have any life in him.
My other beef, which I also had with Episode I, is that George needs to remember the name of his epic. It's called "Star" and "Wars". I've seen very little of either in Episode I or this trailer. Nothing I've seen would appear to match the opening sequences of the earlier trilogy, with massive star destroyers in pursuit. I also think the dependence on CGI is so high that it's drained the life out of the vistas -- everything looks perfectly cold, perfectly rendered, perfectly lit, perfectly lifeless.
Oh well, guess I shouldn't rag too much -- we've only seen probably 45 seconds of the actual movie, and as others have mentioned no Jar Jar has got to be good news.
Rich

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Jar jar is in the breathing trailer...in the shot of Samuel L Jackson he is blurred in the background walking into the room. In the new trailer he is in one shot, you see the back fo his head.
------------------
card5.jpg

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
Trailer probably doesn't depict what many SW enthusiasts want to see. It does seem darker, with more dark settings, but otherwise, similar to EP1 minus Jake Lloyd and less of Jar Jar. I hope that Lucas will bring out some more dimension to the characters (Padme/Amidala), and give some sense of Luke in Anakin. Lucas has a chance to make this one more memorable if he can just insert more personality in the cast.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Looks like alot of scenes were lifted directly from the first one. Looks very similar.
Oh no...
Not again!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I like it, myself, and I can guarantee you there are far worse trailer enders. Once again, Anakin took it upon himself to mount a rescue and ended up captured alongside Obi-Wan. He knows he screwed up and is ashamed of himself. And, it appears Obi-Wan is starting to get fed up with him.
From the comments in the thread in Movies, I'm in the minority. Most agree with you about those lines. But, I don't mind. I call 'em as I see 'em, and this trailer--along with Choices and Breathing--has me extremely excited.
You and I may be in the minority, Greg_S_H, but you're not alone. I also disagree with calling the dialogue or the trailer's ending line "lame". I chuckled when I saw it, and thought of nothing bad about the whole thing until I came to HTF and read all this criticism!
In fact, the ONLY criticism *I* had was that I thought "maybe the bit in the trailer with the shortcut through the power couplings went on for a few seconds too long...couldn't we see more of something else, and bsides the trailer-end joke was better than the shortcut joke". But, OTOH, that bit was meant to demonstrate Anakin's flying skills, which he was reknowned for per Ep's 4-6. So, I decided I could live with it being in there, especially just in a trailer!
Again, we are seeing skepticism from boatloads of people who are inevitably going to see the film again and again anyway. :) George will inevitably make some choices that are unpopular with SOMEone, SOMEwhere. But, he's the pilot. Why don't we all just sit back and enjoy the ride?
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
Do you like TV on DVD? Then check THIS out!
.....http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/.....

mark_d

Second Unit
I really do not understand the problem people have with this trailer - truly beyond my comprehension. I mean, if you're generally not into this sort of flick, that's fair enough, but if you've taken the time and effort to obtain it, that's not going to be you. It's exciting and extremely funny.
The animation of Watto and the delivery of the line "A Jedi, well whaddaya know" is superb.
And that ending is hilarious - in a good way.
Am I watching a different trailer to everyone else? My wife's watched it and we agree on it's qualities.
Personally, I can't wait.
Mark

Jeff

Supporting Actor
I agree with Mark D. I haven't a clue why people are criticizing it. It looks great to me. I even like the CGI Yoda.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
My favorite part is when the trailer crashed my computer 3 times. I love the unholy trinity of Lucasfilm, Apple & Interactual!
furious.gif

Thanks to http://www.movie-list.com/ , I was finally able to download an uncorrupted copy.
-Dave
------------------
DVD List
"The page you are looking for is here no more. Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore.'"

Thomas J.

Stunt Coordinator
I think that last joke line, "I've decided to come and rescue you...Good job." is similar to the line in Return of the Jedi when Han is worried about what's going to happen once they reach the Sarlaac pit: Luck says something like, "Relax, I'm going to take care of everything." Han, in response, "Oh, great." It's the same type of humor, and I think it works. At least that's how I see it.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Yeah - the last line is GOOD! But written down it's hardly great...which is the point: It's really well delivered and made me chuckle.
And this is important. Sod Jar-Jar, where TPM really screwed up was in the total lack of scintillating and interesting dialogue. The only funny line in the whole movie for me was when Qui-Gon realises the trader's immune to the force and he says 'What? You think you're some kind of Jedi?' or something.
This looks like were going to get a good old character rapport going between the main characters.
You know the most important thing these three films will do is make you really give a damn when Obi-Wan gets killed in Episode IV. Anyone watching all six for the first time will probably find that whole duel really important and slightly emotional even...
frown.gif

------------------
My band is @ http://www.mokita.net
My Novelty Coasters

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
It's November 10th, and I can't get it either. Not to complain, but this thread has turned into a 'movie' discussion rather than getting the software to work. Mine didn't work either, and I think it's a little sick that we had to load up yet another media program, only to find that all it did was to take up more disk space. I looked at their troubleshooter and left it in disgust, just before I unloaded that dumb program. This is something that should be complained about.
Glenn

DanR

Supporting Actor
The criticism here baffles me. The end line with Obi-Wan is meant as a joke, people. Kind of like all the cheesy lines from the original trilogy that people have conveniently forgotten so that they can bash a movie they haven't seen. It looks like there will be quite a bit of excellent banter between Anakin and Obi-Wan in this movie.
My only problem with this is that the prequel trilogy looks to be way too *dyanamic* in comparison to the original trilogy. The way ships fly, people fight, etc just lack continuity. I think Lucas is going to do something about it. Either update the original trilogy more or explain the Empire's rule as a "dark age" or something.
Regards,
Dan

Hubert

Second Unit
Some people will never be satisfied. They take single lines froma 1 mintue trailer and claim, "the dialogue sucks." Gimme a break. And this movie doesn't really look anything like Episode 1.

Leroy

Second Unit
I don't get all the criticisms either, granted everyone is free to have their own opinion, but to judge a movie based on a smattering of scenes is pretty silly.
Me, I think both trailers so far are great. Just think how good it will look with 5 more months of post-production. I can't wait unti next May.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks