What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Paramount+ Star Trek: Discovery - Official Thread (2 Viewers)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Personally I just don't hand wring. It's never helped before, and it'll never help in the future. It'll be what it'll be.

This is a Star Trek series that is getting shot over the next few months. It's not like it'll never see the light of day and be buried or anything, so why stress about when it gets released? It'll come out at some point, and when it does we'll see what it's all about. Whether that's in May or July or September makes little difference to me.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm actually not stressing. I'll watch it when it comes out, but I'm not looking forward to it or anticipating it. All I'm trying to do is understand the corporate logic in how the show is being handled and show a perpetual and consistent mishandling of the franchise on the TV and movie sides. Which is what is going on here.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm actually not stressing. I'll watch it when it comes out, but I'm not looking forward to it or anticipating it. All I'm trying to do is understand the corporate logic in how the show is being handled and show a perpetual and consistent mishandling of the franchise on the TV and movie sides. Which is what is going on here.

Paramount is a dead company that has farmed production out to the first idiots they could find so they can make a few bucks, and all CBS cares about is launching All Access and are using the goodwill the Star Trek brand had 17 years ago in hopes of getting those fans to pay for their service.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Could be this be our first look at the USS Discovery? Saw this on a Star Wars page, and it's about a Hallmark ornament of Rey from Episode VIII and her new costume. Directly under Rey is a Star Trek ship, one I don't recognize (and I pretty much know them all). If it is Discovery, it is a different design from what we saw in that teaser a while back.

http://makingstarwars.net/2017/01/hallmark-ornament-reveals-reys-outfit-from-star-wars-episode-viii/

IMG_6308.jpg

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
It's the Franklin, one of two confirmed-ish (so far) ornaments for this year. The other is an generic Picard/Data scene.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
The show's music composer, Charles Henri Avelange, Tweeted a recording session. He identified it as "My first @StarTrek theme" in the service of CBS. It sounded nice, and I'm no composer, but structurally the excerpt felt like grandiose orchestration in search of a theme (like Jerry Goldsmith's original STTMP "Enterprise" composition). It was like something I'd come up with humming in the bathroom, only played by a 100-piece orchestra. Then again, it was only an excerpt.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I mentioned it before, but as we are getting close -- Nicholas Meyer will be a guest at Farpoint 24 - February 17-19 -- a local (outside Baltimore) convention that I try to go to every year. I am sure he will have some kind of panel with a Q&A session.

If anyone has any questions that you think he might be able to answer, I can attempt to ask them.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I read this thread.

I moderate this thread.

I'm just a casual TOS fan so most of what is said here is WAY over my head.

But when talk turns to Hallmark ornaments (with images attached!), I know things are getting interesting! :D

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for linking the trailer!

Now we know they revised the design of the Discovery. Assuming this is the Discovery. It's very evocative of the NX-01 of Archer's era:

IMG_4631.JPG

From looking at the wireframe, it's a big improvement from the earlier McQuarrie based model.

Last edited:

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
A few moments before we see that Enterprise NX-01-like ship, they show various shots of the Discovery as presented in the teaser. So I would guess that the ship above is just another ship.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
image.jpeg
Thanks Jonathan, I missed that shot. It does say Exterior Discovery. I'll have to see better images to make out the design and details. It sort of looks better then it did in the teaser trailer last year. If it's only 10 years before Pike and Kirk's era, then that is not really a Constitution Class ship. Just a similar layout.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kandids222
Recent bookmarks