What's new

New speakers shutting off amp...what to do? (1 Viewer)

MikeDE

Second Unit
EDIT: Thanks to you all, problem solved (see last post).

I finally got 6 Athena B1's hooked up to my Onkyo SR502, and while giving it a test drive with Phantom of the Opera, the amp shut off and has a blinking light. Turned it back on and it played fine for a few minutes, then the music started to swell and off it goes again. I noticed earlier the left surround was a bit weak so cranked it up high, but don't know if this would cause the shut off. Any idea what I could have done wrong or what to do to try to fix this? This has really bummed me out.

EvanW

Stunt Coordinator
odd, got them hooked up right id check to make sure u didnt accidently didnt mix up wires. Those athena's are 8 ohms and shouldnt do that to the H/K.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
The B1s aren't a hard load to drive, recheck all your connections for a possible single wire that is lose and causing a short.

That's a start, how loud were you listening? could you easily talk without raising you voice??.

Brent

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Check all speaker connections. If they are okay, you might have blown a fuse (for any number of reasons) and likely need servicing. Overwhelming chance it's a bad speaker wire connection.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Also, are you using a sub and if so, do you have your speakers set to large or small?

MikeDE

Second Unit
Thanks for all your responses! The panic is over. I took the advice and checked all the connections. Evidently when pulling the wires from the wall clips going to the old wall mounted speakers (new ones are on stands), I pulled one from the amp. Lesson learned, check amp connections and be more careful when moving wire. I found another one loose, and the connection to the surround speaker that had low volume needed to be put in better. I thought I was being so careful, but obviously not. Now it's doing fine, and I'm one happy camper! Geez, I don't know what I'd do without HTF for help and advice.

John S

Senior HTF Member
You know, it only takes 1 or 2 instances of this, before you go off the the Radio Shck for some inexpensive banana plugs... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks