What's new

Broken amp repair. :) Will this work??? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Andrew
Alright. Im a poor college student, but that doesnt mean i should be left without killer audio! I have been looking at the sony str-dn1000 for a few months and have been trying to get one within my budget ($200 shipped). I checked eBay as well as all craigslists within 2000 miles of me, and i couldnt get my hands on one. i bid on 9! but they all escaped me. then about 2 weeks ago i stumbled upon an amp in New York for 100$!!! YEESS!!!!! The guy sent me pictures and it showed the unit in FLAWLESS condition! I sent him 100$ for the unit and 22$ to ship it to Michigan. It arrived two days later and when i took it out of the box i was THRILLED! The guy was anal and the unit didnt have the smallest scratch on it, however when i looked at the back of the unit my heart sank.... The delivery company (not mentioning any names, *cough cough ups cough*) had put their fot through the box and DESTROYED the front channel binding posts! :(
I took the unit apart down to the very last component and found that the main motherboard/sound processing board was nearly SNAPPED in two. :( i counted 9 broken traces.. What i did was scrapped the protection off each trace back about 1/4in. and put a nice bead of solder on each trace. after checking to be sure i didnt have any shorts i CAKED it with epoxy.. with crossed fingers i reassembled (no lost or extra screws!!) the amp and its BEAUTIFUL!! :)
Now my question is... did i do this right?? is it a permanent solution?? Its sound unbelievable.... I will say that at about 50 (out of 75) the amp shuts down and says 'protection'. Book says it means theres something wrong with my connection to my speakers.. is that a sign i did a por job? or maybe its my speakers maxing out?? i dont know... any thoughts?
Thanks guys!!!
Andrew

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
My guess is that you dodged a bullet and got a broken receiver to work to your liking; however, I fear that as soon as you move the unit you may be facing the same problem with the board. Great job in putting it back together and getting it to work, and enjoy it. Start saving for a replacement though.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Congrats on the good work. It is still a Sony though, and no, I wouldn't call it a permanent solution. I agree with the other poster, I would call it a stop-gap until you can save up and get a new receiver. For me, and I used to be an assembler too, that repair would always be in the back of my mind as a potential hazzard...

Real Name
Andrew
thanks guys! Yeah, i made it a point to fix it well so that it will hopefully be a long-ish (til im out of college!) term fix. I used A LOT of epoxy and made sure to have very meticulous solder connections. not sure whats up with the protection error at mid-high volumes tho.. speaker failure or poor soldering job?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks