What's new

New reference concert DVD? (1 Viewer)

Michael Varacin

Stunt Coordinator
OK...I'll probably get some slack for posting this since it's a country DVD, but has anyone else seen the Randy Travis concert DVD? I watched it a few days ago, and I was very impressed. The audio and video are second to none. Almost perfect use of the surrounds. I must say, this is the first video that I really, honestly felt like I was in a theater, watching the performance. After watching it, I put in the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, and John Fogarty discs for an immediate comparison. I have to say...the Randy Travis disc beats them all in audio and video.

Bonus- it's in Widescreen too!

Mike.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I can't say that I'm into his music, but my wife likes country, so maybe I'll get it for her.

Peter Frampton Live in Detroit is the best rock DVD I've seen so far.

DJ

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
I would still argue that Nine Inch Nails "and all that could have been" is the best concert DVD out there for sound and picture. The music just isn't for everyone.

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
My vote goes to Roger Waters: In the Flesh. Top notch 5.1 anamorphic presentation.

If you are a Waters/Pink Floyd fan, this is a must buy.

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
I have a few votes from my 35+ Music DVD collection:

Overall Audio and Video (no particular order):

Scorpions - Acoustica (dts/5.1/PCM, 12 Cameras - Sound is simply astonishing)
James Brown - Live HOB (all sony hi def cameras/dts)
Joe Satriani - Live (amazing Sound and picture with his chrome guitar)
Motorhead - Boneshaker (5.1)
Metallica - S&M
Ozzy Osbourne - Live at the Budokan (A surprising presentation, pure steroidal rock n roll )

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Best concert DVD I've seen in a while is Diana Krall - Live in Paris. Has Dolby Digital Stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround and DTS 5.1 Surround. Anamorphic widescreen. Awesome DVD.

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
somehow, this is like the old "audiophile LPs" - the quality of the sound being inversely proportional to the quality of the performance ! ;)

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
Michael,
I have to agree with you that the sound and video on the Randy Travis disc is fantastic. I watched it late one night after a movie to unwind a little and was stunned by the quality of the picture. Check it out.
Later
Jim

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Vlad.

I sat on this thread for a couple of days because I responded to another thread asking the same question (on another forum)---- "reference Concert DVD"?

"diana krall-
............LIVE IN -----
...................paris

is the current reference concert DVD which I own. It surpassed Eagles HFO and Steely Dan's "two against nature", and that is hard to do.

In my system, and in my tweaked dedicated basement HT room, the "Live in paris" (dts track) is simply the best I have ever heard out of my system.
Even if you are not a fan of her, or even soft jazz, the dts track is just loaded with detail, IMO.

Very well mastered soundtrack, to say the least (and she doesn't hurt your eyes either).

BOK

Jeff F.

Second Unit
I must say that ELO "Zoom" also has a great DTS track and is also anamorphic.

One of the best sounding and looking IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks