What's new

New Receiver Advice (7.1.2 or 7.2.2 Atmos) (1 Viewer)

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
So, after making a few calls, it seems like I can get a good deal on the MRX1140 (about $800 off MSRP). Thoughts on using the MRX1140 as a receiver now and then later on down the road using it as a processor only in concert with separate amplification? It seems that specs-wise it's very close to the AVM70 except that it lacks the XLRs, non?
Nothing wrong with that approach at all. You could also potentially use the 1140's built-in amp channels for atmos channels, while using your separate amp for the mains. A perfect approach.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So, after making a few calls, it seems like I can get a good deal on the MRX1140 (about $800 off MSRP). Thoughts on using the MRX1140 as a receiver now and then later on down the road using it as a processor only in concert with separate amplification? It seems that specs-wise it's very close to the AVM70 except that it lacks the XLRs, non?
It's a good way to step into separates, or at least get real power in the front now without going full separates. For instance, with the $800 savings and an additional $400 tossed in you can get an Emotiva XPA-3.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Nothing wrong with that approach at all. You could also potentially use the 1140's built-in amp channels for atmos channels, while using your separate amp for the mains. A perfect approach.

Smart idea. I'll likely pull the trigger on this. Unfortunately it's now blizzarding here in town. I was really hoping to have this today or tomorrow to play with over the weekend. Curse my indecision!

Htoad

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry Horner
Josh, I look forward to seeing what John has to say about the MRX, because that looks really good to me too. I suppose if I had an unlimited budget this would be an easier decision, but if we're looking at a 7.1.2 setup with Atmos, could we not also look at the MRX 740 with a separate amplifier to run the height speakers? Might be less of a question for you if you can get a good deal on the 1140, but if we're looking to use the MRX as a stepping stone it might save a little now and we'd still have an amp to use forever?

Htoad

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry Horner
Sorry, was late to the party posting that last reply and missed a few steps. :rolleyes:

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Josh, I look forward to seeing what John has to say about the MRX, because that looks really good to me too. I suppose if I had an unlimited budget this would be an easier decision, but if we're looking at a 7.1.2 setup with Atmos, could we not also look at the MRX 740 with a separate amplifier to run the height speakers? Might be less of a question for you if you can get a good deal on the 1140, but if we're looking to use the MRX as a stepping stone it might save a little now and we'd still have an amp to use forever?
I will always, always recommend people spend separate amps on their main speakers first. Regardless of which receiver fits your budget, once you add a separate amp (monoblock or stereo) you want to apply it to these channels, in order of preference.

1) Left and Right
2) Center
3) Left/Right Surround
4) Surround Back
5) Atmos

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I will always, always recommend people spend separate amps on their main speakers first. Regardless of which receiver fits your budget, once you add a separate amp (monoblock or stereo) you want to apply it to these channels, in order of preference.

1) Left and Right
2) Center
3) Left/Right Surround
4) Surround Back
5) Atmos
Agreed, though I highly recommend starting with the front three at the same time. Good options are a three channel amp for L/C/R or a five channel, adding the side surrounds.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Now that I look at it again, without digging into the details, ask yourself if you'll ever use more than 11 channels. Can you get a similar deal on the 740, which processes 11 channels and is $1K cheaper?

Htoad

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry Horner
Only thing is that it doesn't power the Atmos speakers, so you'd have to buy an amp for those if you wanted to use them right away. Which would still be cheaper than the 1140 I think.

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
$800 off is pretty amazing. I assume that’s Canadian $? Was that a local shop?

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I pulled the trigger and bought the MRX1140. Even with the reported software issues and the specs being slightly lower than the previous model, I just couldn't pass up the price. Plus I get to support a Canadian company, which I like to do in my home theatre.

Thanks, everyone, for the assistance!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I pulled the trigger and bought the MRX1140. Even with the reported software issues and the specs being slightly lower than the previous model, I just couldn't pass up the price. Plus I get to support a Canadian company, which I like to do in my home theatre.

Thanks, everyone, for the assistance!
Good move. Congrats and enjoy. The firmware will be fixed.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I picked the MRX1140 up on Saturday and have set it up. I haven't mounted my two Atmos speakers so right now I'm just at 7.1.0.

Anthem updated the ARC software a few days ago and now the beta version is no longer needed. I haven't yet run it since I'm still breaking in my front speakers and I figure running room calibration would be a waste of time. I've instead "manually" balanced the speakers using my trusty old sound level meter (I've had this baby going on 25 years now!) and test tones, after setting the speaker distances directly in the 1140's software. On that front, the interface is quite user friendly and it took almost no time at all to get everything up and running. My only issue was that setting labels (e.g. naming inputs) is a tad wonky on the mobile app (you couldn't see what you were typing).

I'm experimenting with the crossover settings for my fronts (going back-and-forth between 80 and 70), but, again, it's probably a waste of my time until they are properly broken in.

We're currently working our way through Downton Abbey--which is only in 2.0 so our evening viewing isn't exactly giving the system a workout. Still, the few movie scenes I have demoed have sounded great, even with my limited tweaking.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Josh, what speakers and sub do you have?

My fronts, surrounds, and rears are 6 x SVS Ultra Towers (https://www.svsound.com/products/ultra-tower) (I erroneously referred to them as prime towers earlier--I'm bad with the names, sorry).

My centre is the SVS Ultra Center (https://www.svsound.com/products/ultra-center).

My sub is an SVS PB-1000 (https://www.svsound.com/products/pb-1000). I think this is the clear weak link, but honestly it doesn't sound bad and I'm not really a hard core bass guy. But I do need to buy something to move to 7.2.2.

My two height speakers (not mounted yet) are 2 x SVS Prime Elevation (https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-elevation).

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
My fronts, surrounds, and rears are 6 x SVS Ultra Towers (https://www.svsound.com/products/ultra-tower) (I erroneously referred to them as prime towers earlier--I'm bad with the names, sorry).

My centre is the SVS Ultra Center (https://www.svsound.com/products/ultra-center).

My sub is an SVS PB-1000 (https://www.svsound.com/products/pb-1000). I think this is the clear weak link, but honestly it doesn't sound bad and I'm not really a hard core bass guy. But I do need to buy something to move to 7.2.2.

My two height speakers (not mounted yet) are 2 x SVS Prime Elevation (https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-elevation).
I'm going to HIGHLY recommend that you add two more Prime Elevation speakers (plus the free when you order ceiling mounting safety plates for both pairs - don't forget those!!). 7.1.4 processing is much better than 7.1.2. You get a very limited amount of object positioning and movement out of only two overhead speakers. Four overheads is the sweet spot with one row of seating. This way you get front to back/back to front, side to side, 360 degree, and diagonal object panning in the height plane.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I'm going to HIGHLY recommend that you add two more Prime Elevation speakers (plus the free when you order ceiling mounting safety plates for both pairs - don't forget those!!). 7.1.4 processing is much better than 7.1.2. You get a very limited amount of object positioning and movement out of only two overhead speakers. Four overheads is the sweet spot with one row of seating. This way you get front to back/back to front, side to side, 360 degree, and diagonal object panning in the height plane.

As luck would have it, that's exactly what I did this weekend! I ordered two more elevation speakers last week and mounted them on Friday. I still need to do a bit of cable management (I was eager to get them installed before watching The Falcon and Winter Soldier and For All Mankind), but otherwise it's all done.

You are correct: even in my limited experience so far, the difference between two and four height speakers is quite noticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks