What's new

New Maria McKee album "High Dive" - stunning! (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
If you're a fan of the Little Diva, run, don't walk to your local record shop and pick up this gem. Best album of the year so far, easily (note that the new Steely Dan has yet to be released ;)).

The production is lush and perfectionistic, a stark contrast to 1996's brilliant but ragged "Life Is Sweet". The songwriting is typical Maria McKee, her vocal performances are amazing as always.

I can not stop listening to it....

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Yes it is, have it for about a month now. Also, if you like Ryan Adams, pick up Jesse Malin's "The Fine Art of Self Destruction." Ryan Adams liked it so much he produced it even though he never produced before. Ryan Adams also plays and does background vocals. Excellent recording as well.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I was actually disappointed by it. And I've been a huge fan since her Lone Justice days. My first impression was that is was over-produced. Too theatrical. I just can't seem to connect with the music.

I will say, however, that parts of it have grown on me after repeated listenings. When I first heard her last CD, "Life is Sweet," I hated it, but forced myself to listen to it. Now I like it a lot. Maybe I will just have to listen to this one some more.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Pamela, I've also noticed that Maria's music tends to "grow on me". Especially when the production is as lush as this record, it takes quite a while to digest. I love "Life is Sweet" but it took a couple listens to digest.

Phil A, I can only imagine how wonderful this record sounds on your syetem. :eek: Maria's voice is one that really taxes a system, and I would expect that your Thiels would render it beautifully.

I'd love to hear this in high-rez and/or multichannel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks