What's new

New iPods Coming Next Week (9/5/07) (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I think this was a good call by Apple. Yeah, most of the online whining was pretty disgusting. But it was turning into a PR disaster and they've now nipped it in the bud.

Basically, this means all of us early adopters get to buy Leopard next month for $30!! :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The thing you have to remember about apple is they apply the 'cat string theory' to every product every time. There will never be a PERFECT product from Apple, they always leave just enough out each time to get you clawing back at the next round of (likewise imperfect) product upgrades.

That said, 16GB is too small for me but I will be getting the touch from the first place I can buy it. Anyone wanna hazard a guess as to who will have it first? Apple store local, apple store online, Amazon or somewhere else?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Since the Touch is not available until later this month, I think your best bet is to go with the online Apple store. They'll ship to you direct from China as soon as it's available.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Plus they might offer engraving if the back of the iTouch is metal.

I know, it is called the iPod Touch, but that's just too long.

ErichH

Screenwriter

A true shopper. No Dis intended ;)

I jump on Apple all the time, but I'm one of their biggest fans.
Let's see the fine print when you get the email. I'm guessing a minimum purchase amount, and not a 100 credit on itunes songs, or a 50.00 nano. We'll see.

joe goswami

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Goswami
Ughhhhh! I just bought a black 80GB iPOD (2006-2007 model). Now they've announced a 160GB iPOD for a few dollars more than the "discounted" PODSter I bought last month. History shows the iPOD usually gains about 20GB in hard drive capacity every year since 2003. I'm pissed!!!

My 2003 model bought in mid '04 just gave up the ghost after 3 "wonderful" years of service.

As for The Beatles catalogue on iTunes, its still the 1987 remasters. The Stones catalogue put up their a few years ago are all derived off of the SACD re-issues.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
And while I agree with this in principle, I think it's worth asking: what company DOES produce a perfect product?

Built-in obsolescence is what keeps the corporate world turning. This is not a knock on Apple, this is what all companies do. Apple just gets a lot more tantalizingly close to perfect than other computer companies, so their shortcomings are criticized more than say Dell or HP.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
I'm using the new 3G iPod nano (8 GB) as I type this.

Neat device, with more functionality than the older nano. The case does smudge easily, though, so I hope the case manufacturers have their 3G nano case out soon! :)

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I partially agree with this statement. Most of the buzz I've heard/read from people is how no single iPod product matches what they want. I want the iTouch or Nano but with bigger capacity. The classic should have a bigger screen or slim down. I know Apple did this on purpose so people would want to upgrade again next round. but maybe they should have made their lineups like Car models. You can get XX package for an additional $XX, or XY package for only $XX more, or the super deluxe music junkie package for $XYZ more. and next year we wil introuduce YY package w/ camera record direct to YouTube feature.
I just cant wait until someone figures out a way to increase the flash memory on the iTouch. Don't get me wrong, I really want the iTouch, its fascinating and mesmerizing, however, with such little storage its not worth the price, I don't need YouTube on my persons at all times. and Id likely crush the device at the gym. I'm starting to think I should just get a low end classic model and upgrade the hard drive. Ive actually been watching the price of used 5.5 models, they haven't changed yet. I think its because the new models arent out yet and stores aren't advertising lower prices yet. I'm curious how cheap I can score a perfectly good used iPod in the coming weeks/months. especially after the holiday season.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

This may be true, but they'd need 40 different iPod products to accomplish that, or the ability to custom build 40 different products. It may be possible, but it wouldn't be as profitable for Apple to do it...not in the short term or long term.

Personally, I've been very happy with my piddly 2GB Nano. It's enough capacity for me and it's the perfect physical size. My only complaint is the screen size because I need my reading glasses to see it clearly, so if the iTouch has a bigger screen, and is still smaller than the other available iPod models, I might consider buying it.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I went from being "meh" about the new Nano to nearly buying one today. When you handle it, there's something awesome about the size and thinness and that glorious screen... oh how I wanted it. I was even trying to think up hide-from-the-wife strategies, which are Bad Things To Be Thinking Of.

I imagine I will not be able to hold out too much longer.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Did Apple lower the price of the current Nano models? The battery on my wife's ipod mini is not holding a charge for very long, and an 8GB 2nd generation Nano would be a perfect solution for her. Since the new 8GB model is $199, I would hope I could find a 2nd generation model for less than $150. Is that possible?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm hoping Apple, despite their comments, provides application support to the iPhone and Touch iPod. I'm still a PDA user; my PDA is on its way out and there's no decent replacement. The PDA market is crumbling.

If key PDA apps appeared on the iPods / iPhones, I could upgrade to a 16GB iTouch next year and have a fantastic new system to meet all my needs.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm actually afraid of going to an Apple store in fear of exactly what Aaron describes. I think if I went I'd probably walk out with an 8G Nano.

I just double checked and my music library is 43GB. So if I have patience and wait until the iPod Touch comes out, I can store roughly a little over 1/3 of my songs on it, which should be more than enough. I also code at 320AAC so if I re-rip at say 192AAC I'll get more than half on a Touch.

I do like the new look and screen of the Nano (based on the web pics and videos) but I feel like since I already have a 5G iPod, I want something more revolutionary for my next iPod purchase.

The other option is for me to wait until the rumored 16GB iPhone, which I bet will come in at $499.

Man, I better pull the trigger on that SXRD before my money leaves my wallet! :D

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

:laugh:

My wife would never notice a new Nano. Wouldn't even have to hide it. It's the bill on the credit card, or the cash out of our account that would get me busted. I'd need to launder our money somehow.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

The new Nanos are $50 cheaper than the discontinued Nanos (for a given capacity). So if places like Best Buy price-match between old and new revisions, you might find a black 8 GB one for $200.

The online Apple Store is advertising a refurbished 8 GB Nano for $169, and a few varieties of 4 GB ones for $129.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks