What's new

New iPods Coming Next Week (9/5/07) (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Thanks, Thomas. If that is all the discount that will be available, I might as well just buy a new Nano. It doesn't make sense to save only $30 for a refurbished old model.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

You won't. ;)

The screen looks amazingly clear for such a little screen, and sound quality is definitely better than the 2G nano. I'd highly recommend getting a really good set of headphones to take advantage of the 3G nano, though (such as the Etymotic Research ER-6i that I have :emoji_thumbsup: ).

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
OK. My wife and I just went to Apple. They didn't have the 160gb Classics in stock nor the iTouch. However, we looked at the Nano's, 80gig classics's and the iPhone. Personally if price wasn't an issue, Id go with an iTouch or iPhone and the 160gb Classic. The woman at the store said the 160gb's were about the thickness of a quarter added to the 80gig's size (which is slimmer than the 5.5 gen's I think she said). My wife and I both want iPods. I need storage, but Ive been waiting so long I want advanced features. She doesnt need a lot of storage, but would be willing to utilize other features such as the browser and app's. We played with the iPhone to get the feel for the iTouch. I must say, I like it. I haven't decideded if it feels gimmicky or not, but its certainly breaking ground for the future. When you consider price, the 8gb Touch is only $100 more than the 8gb nano. So Im thinking that would be good for my wife. But, the 80gb Classic is only $50 more than the 8gb nano. so Im thinking that we may get a 8gb touch and a 80gb classic. One of each and we can swap and share. Still not sure. I never expected this to be a tough decision. However, I must say the new Nano's are superb. I would buy one in a heartbeat if it was only about $50 cheaper. I just cant see spending $200 on 8gb's of storage, the screen is nice, its light as a feather, but the other thing is that we didn't like ANY of the colors except for black on any model. She was hoping for pink. Hopefully there are some nice 3rd party cases or mod's on the way. either way, even after this trip its really hard to make a choice.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The reason I like my current 2nd generation 8GB Nano is its compact size -- it's great for travel. I do not really miss the additional capacity, even though my music collection is over 50GB. I also own a bulky 40GB monochrome iPod, which has sat unused on a shelf since I got the Nano. My wife also likes the compact size of her iPod Mini, so a new Nano makes sense for her, too.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Ditto. Last week, when pics of this one started leaking on the Internet, I like many thought it might be a rare design mistake by Apple. It just looked kind of... chubby. But those pics were 2D and had no context for size. When I went to the Apple Store and held this baby in my hand, my opinion did a 180. It feels almost impossibly thin - I've eaten crackers with more girth!! ;) It's a beautiful piece of consumer tech and will be a huge seller for Apple.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Actually I've got something special planned for that metal back. =)

I've resigned myself to the fact that I dont NEED all 40 GB of my music with me at all times, I am just going to have to work out a strategy for splitting 5 GB of the Touch into music, 8 GB for video podcasts and the few TV shows I get off the store (hooked on VH1s The Pickup Artist right now) and 2 GB for a small section of photos leaving about 1GB free to download a few off the mobile iTunes store. Oh yeah do I see myself getting in trouble with THAT I can tell you right now.

Since my current iPod is larger than my music collection and I dont put photos on and can't put video on it, how does one easily pick just a portion of your content to put on there anyway?

Sam

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ah how times change. I spent $250 for 4 GB two years ago :D

I agree, the new line-up feels more challenging to choose from. The capacity vs Touch dilemma is stark.

Greg Madsen

Second Unit
Well, they've sucked me in again.

I currently own a 1st gen shuffle, a 2nd gen shuffle, a 1st gen 4 gb nano, a 30gb Ipod photo, a 60 gb Ipod video and an 80 gb Ipod video.

I just ordered a 16 gb touch and a 160 gb classic.

When will it stop! Probably never.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
The 16 gig Touch is sorely tempting. My music collection is small compared to a lot of you here, only 12 gigs or so, so I'd be able to hold all my music on it, with room to spare for a few movies. That said, I still think 16 gigs is a touch *ha ha* to small, so I'm going to try my hardest to wait until a 32 gig version is released. By then, maybe there will be some cool applications support so we'll end up with a cool PDA as well.

I did go ahead and order a 8 gig Nano to replace my 4g 20gig monochrome ipod. I love the fact that the new Nano's screen is the same size or slightly larger even than my old HD based iPod!

Of course, I may end up breaking down and buying a 16 gig touch too. But I really plan on holding out for 32 gigs... really!

BTW, I ordered the new Nano in red. It looked good in the pics. But now I read that it's not really red, it's more of a sparkly cranberry. I think somebody at Apple Insider described it looking like lip gloss. I hope not! If it is, I'll happily sell it to someone for a slight discount. Then I'll buy a black one. Or a touch!

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Brian, don't worry about the red, I thought it looked sharp in person - easily the best of the new colors.

I had hoped to pick up a 160GB Classic on Friday, but the stores don't have the 160s in yet, so I just ordered it online.
The most common way to do this is to use a smart playlist that is set (via the "Limit to" option) to always pick music that has been "least recently played". Another good choice is a playlist that has the "most recently added" so your new tunes are available. You can of course use both - in your case you may want to set the LRP playlist to 3 GB and the MRA playlist to 2 GB (just examples, you can split any way you wish). That will keep the 5 GB you have allocated for music filled and you don't have to do anything else - iTunes will always be cycling fresh tunes onto your iPod.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
They do offer the standard free engraving on the iPod Touch, as they do on the rest of the line - even the Shuffle. Be aware, however, that engraving will lower the eventual resale value of your iPod (if that's important to you).

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Costco has the New Nanos and classics in, the $149 one is actually $142.99 there and the $199 one was only $189!

I wasnt impressed with the fat nano from the spy pics but it looks AWESOME in person. They are gonna sell a bajilliion of these.

I think I'm going to have a hard decision, rush out as soon as I hear the touch is available locally or wait 2-3 days and get a nice discount at Costco....

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
we'll be using our $100store iPhone credit towards one of these new iPods .

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds

I use a series of playlists that filter down into one I call "Aaron's shuffle" for my shuffle, giving me a certain percentage of my very favourites, a certain percentage of new or rarely listened to and a certain percentage of stuff that I like that I haven't heard lately. If you want details, let me know and I'll post what the parameters are.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
By the way, with hot sales of the new 3G nano, I think you will start seeing in the next year an explosion of sites offering iPod-compatible downloadable videos to watch.

Can you imagine ESPN offering essentially a daily 15-minute version of SportsCenter geared specifically for viewing by the new iPods, along with 8-9 minute shorter video podcasts for each individual major sport?

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
That's what I intend to do for a 160GB classic. But does anyone know, when/how the $100 credit will be issued?

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Darn, that 160GB is almost big enough to encode my entire collection using Apple Lossless. Almost but not quite. Not that I'm looking to re-rip my CD's again. :D

Users who are viewing this thread