What's new

New HTS with Polk R300's (1 Viewer)

ljack

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
I just purchased a pair of these to begin piecing together a HTS. My wife is kinda upset that I found out she was going to get me a system for Christmas. She said "Well, since you ruined the surprise, you might was well pick it all out yourself." ...so I'm kinda in hot water, but I get a HTS!!! :) After lots of looking around at the entry level Klipsch and Polk 5.1 systems, I'm kinda glad I waited until seeing this deal on a pair of the R300's, $119 shipped for both.

From what I read, these can be set up to approach performance of much more expensive systems. I also believe they are made to be more of a surround speaker than use for main (center) channel. They are, however, a combination type speaker, with rear-firing woofers, I think smaller, like 6". I'm hoping to come across a steal of a deal on a center channel, and eventually a sub as well. If I play my cards right, I may be able to get them all for close to the usual $250 price range of a entry level HTIB speaker system. Would the center, and sub complete the 5.1 package? Also, should I use the floor speakers alone until I get the other ones?

As far as receivers go, I am trying to go economical, but still good enough for a solid 5.1 setup. Onkyo has an entry level 5.1 model, with 65w per channel, decoding features, 3D compatible for about $200. Consumer review gave it some good feedback. For now, it will be in a smaller room (250-300 sq ft), but would a setup like that be enough for a much larger room as well? Thanks

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The Polk R series has been around in one form or another for several years. The R300 has one 6" driver and a 1" tweeter both mounted in the front. There are no rear drivers. They are designed for use as front speakers not surrounds but they certainly could be used as surrounds.

You are going to need a pair of surrounds, a center speaker and a sub woofer ro complete the 5.1 speaker package. Using the R300's as fronts until you get the rest of the speakers is perfectly fine.

The R150 is the perfect match as surrounds for the R300's. PolkDirect on ebay has them for $79 a pair shipped.

The center would be the CSR which will be a little harder to find. Expect to pay $79-100 for it new.

The Onkyo 508 would be an excellent entry level receiver. Ac4l.com has a refurbished 508 for $189 + shipping. Monoprice.com is a great place to get good wires/cables on the cheap.

ljack

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
Thanks for the reply! If I were to use them for a while before getting the other pieces, what kind of sound difference might I expect compared to the speakers from my Samsung pnc550 plasma tv? I think, from cNet's reviews, and others, as well as my needs, isn't the onkyo 308 receiver adequate?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Towers, even those costing $119 a pair, should sound better than those tiny things in your display.

The 308 is a very entry level receiver. The 508 offers a lot more, Including Audyssey room correction with Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ for not a lot more money. And the amp section really is quite a bit better. If you really plan on putting it in a larger room I would try and get the 508. The 308 might be "adequate" but the 508 is so much more.

Download the manuals from Onkyo's website and give them a good going over.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks