What's new

New HT Set-up: JBL NSP? 5.1 or 7.1? AR Sub? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy_Watson

Stunt Coordinator
I just got a Pioneer Elite VSX-41 which can put out 7.1 sound (two back surrounds run in parallel off one channel sound). Now I'm looking to buy some speakers to complete the package. From this site I've gathered the JBL Northridge NSP1 system is very good for the money, so I'm likely going to get that. Now for my questions:
1. Is the AR ARS112PS a decent sub? I found it online for $169, which seems like a greaat deal (or crappy product) for a 12" sub, even if it is only 150 watts.
2. Would you recommend putting more money into a nicer sub, or getting some slighly larger JBL Northridge bookshelfs (N26 or N28) to improve stereo music listening and use the extra surrounds to make a 7.1 system?
3. Is there a different set-up for a similar price you would recommend?
This is not going into a large room (about 10'x15') so 7.1 may be a bit much.

Any advice would be well appreciated. Thank you.

Jeremy

Leo_P

Second Unit
I started off my HT adventures with the JBL NSP1 package AND an A.R. S112PS sub.
The JBL NSP1 is a good speaker package. I ended up upgrading to Axiom's in the center and as mains, but I still have a pair of N24's as surrounds. The N-Center that came with my NSP1 gave my TV some shielding problems, I've since read that this has happened to others, so make sure you buy it from a place with a good return policy.
As for the A.R. S112PS, I think it's one of the best bang-for-your-buck subs out there. When I was auditioning subs I listened to the A.R. compared to a $500 Klipsch sub, for fun, and the Klipsch didn't sound as good IMO. I got mine for $180 from J&R, so $169 seems about right.
Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks