What's new

New Home Build - Best Technology Return on Investment (1 Viewer)

Jeff P

Agent
I know this is a wide open question, but we are about to build a home and I was wondering what everyone considered useful in a build. This would include:

1. Home automation
2. Central audio/video
3. General Wiring
4. Security Devices

What would you want to include within a reasonable budget ($5000-$8000)

Also, any good general references would be helpful (besides this site!!)

We will have a dedicated theater in the basement, satellite TV (as it is in the country) - All other options open for selection at this point!!

Thanks!!

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
The possibilities are really endless.
You can use Cat 5 for most of your automating needs. You can also use it for any IR repeater runs. Run it to the doorbell, the thermostats, alarm keypads, pool equipment and anywhere else there might be something you want to control from a PC or a keypad.
The security contractor will usually run all there own wiring for the security system. If your doing it yourself, plan on sensors for all windows and doors, fire alarms, motion detectors, and glass breakage sensors.
I'd run no less than 2 coax and 2 cat5 to every room. For the main rooms where you may have HDTV and things like tivo, I'd run no less than 4 coax. (2 for tivo, 1 for antenna, 1 for a separate HD box, possibly another for an outbound modulated signal) (cat 5 runs could be for phone, data, IR control, automation, etc.)
Whether you are going to modulate your signals or have equipment in each room will kind of dictate how much or how little you can get away with. But wire is relatively cheap, so put it in now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks