What's new

New HDTV user (1 Viewer)

RobMorrow

Grip
Well this past week I finally got up and gave in to HDTV. I picked up a JVC AV-48WP55 I'Art Pro which I absolutly love. My question is, how do I get 1080i? I have an Xbox hooked up to it to watch DVDs, and don't get me wrong, they look great, but from other high def stuff, it wasn't as crisp.

I've calibrated the TV a little bit by turning down the contrastbrightness and I went through one of those THX optimizers on a DVD (plan on getting Video Essintials this week). Would a progressive scan DVD player up the picture? I'm a little confused about it.

Thanks

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

You get true 1080i by giving the TV a 1080i HD signal.

The TV upconverts everything else it receives to 1080i from lowly VHS to DVD. Upconverting crap does not make it HD.

Regards

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
Check with your cable company. Check to see if you can get HD channels. They will offer you another cable box that does 1080i.

Chris Shooter

Auditioning
XBOX doesn't output DVD movies in 480p (Progressive), it's still 480i. You are better off getting a progressive scan DVD player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks