What's new

New HD100 and Oval Dish (1 Viewer)

Wil R

Auditioning
Well it's here. I got my new Sony HD100 with the new 24" inch dish. The instructions for both are the worst I have ever encountered. I finally got everything installed with good signal from Sat A but I absolutely cannot find "B". I have been all over the sky changing El, AZ and Tilt. Sat A comes in at 90 very easy. I would think that with that strong of signal, "B would be very close. I am going to try switching the LNBs today. I could also try one of the other outputs on the multiswich. Any other ideas? This is driving me nuts. Thanks
------------------

I’ve recently had the same experience. I tried for over 2 weeks to get sat B, I must have moved my dish 30 times. I even had a installer come out to verify that the satellite didn’t come down with Mir and I was able to see it. He told me if you have it dialed into A you should automatically see B with the oval dish, charged me $20 and left. I then swapped the LNB’s around, nothing. So then I was convinced it must be my tuner (Toshiba DST3000) so I talked a local shop into loaning me another, nothing. I had pretty much given up and started to dismantle the dish and all of a sudden the signal beeper went off. One of the coaxial cables that go from the LNB to the multi-switch was bad. There was some strands of shielding wire inside the connector that was grounding the switch out. I never once suspected the cable. The moral of the story is, if your pretty sure you can see the satellite try replacing everything.

Wil R

Auditioning
Thanks Chuck, I will check the cables next. I actually take a small TV and the HD100 outside next to the dish. Neighbors probably think I'm nuts but they are on local cable, so who is nuts? I would rather not unhook the box from the TV again so I will do some swapping at the dish to see what happens. One thing that I did do which is probably the wrong thing is after using the elevation and azimuth values given for my area code, I then fine tuned the dish for optimum "A" Sat. signal. This may have put me off the B Sat. but I went all around the original values and still couldn't get anything. Hope it is the cables.
------------------

Scott Gilbert

Stunt Coordinator
I had the same problem with my Mitz HD receiver. Same thing two weeks got A satellite no problem but couldn't get B over 40%. I too take the small TV and adjust next to satellite. Had a installer come by he couldn't get it any better. I finally bought another dish. I used my old dish to hit A and the new dish to hit the B. use the splitter that comes with the oval dish. This way you can dial in each satellite. I now get high 90s with the A satellite and the high 80s with the B satellite. Its been working like a champ for a month now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks