New HD100 and Oval Dish

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wil R, Apr 6, 2001.

1. Wil R

Wil R Auditioning

Well it's here. I got my new Sony HD100 with the new 24" inch dish. The instructions for both are the worst I have ever encountered. I finally got everything installed with good signal from Sat A but I absolutely cannot find "B". I have been all over the sky changing El, AZ and Tilt. Sat A comes in at 90 very easy. I would think that with that strong of signal, "B would be very close. I am going to try switching the LNBs today. I could also try one of the other outputs on the multiswich. Any other ideas? This is driving me nuts. Thanks
    ------------------

2. Chuck Sullivan

I’ve recently had the same experience. I tried for over 2 weeks to get sat B, I must have moved my dish 30 times. I even had a installer come out to verify that the satellite didn’t come down with Mir and I was able to see it. He told me if you have it dialed into A you should automatically see B with the oval dish, charged me $20 and left. I then swapped the LNB’s around, nothing. So then I was convinced it must be my tuner (Toshiba DST3000) so I talked a local shop into loaning me another, nothing. I had pretty much given up and started to dismantle the dish and all of a sudden the signal beeper went off. One of the coaxial cables that go from the LNB to the multi-switch was bad. There was some strands of shielding wire inside the connector that was grounding the switch out. I never once suspected the cable. The moral of the story is, if your pretty sure you can see the satellite try replacing everything.

3. Wil R

Wil R Auditioning

Thanks Chuck, I will check the cables next. I actually take a small TV and the HD100 outside next to the dish. Neighbors probably think I'm nuts but they are on local cable, so who is nuts? I would rather not unhook the box from the TV again so I will do some swapping at the dish to see what happens. One thing that I did do which is probably the wrong thing is after using the elevation and azimuth values given for my area code, I then fine tuned the dish for optimum "A" Sat. signal. This may have put me off the B Sat. but I went all around the original values and still couldn't get anything. Hope it is the cables.
    ------------------

4. Scott Gilbert

Scott Gilbert Stunt Coordinator

I had the same problem with my Mitz HD receiver. Same thing two weeks got A satellite no problem but couldn't get B over 40%. I too take the small TV and adjust next to satellite. Had a installer come by he couldn't get it any better. I finally bought another dish. I used my old dish to hit A and the new dish to hit the B. use the splitter that comes with the oval dish. This way you can dial in each satellite. I now get high 90s with the A satellite and the high 80s with the B satellite. Its been working like a champ for a month now.