What's new

New "Great American Ball Park" In Cincinnati Prepared To Dazzle! (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
What I like about all these new ballparks is that they are built for baseball only!. They use natural turf, and the idea is coziness.

The Reds' atrocious Riverfront Stadium was but one of those godawful multipurpose, drab cylinders intended for everything from an NFL game to a U2 concert. They were terrible, artificial. Artificial turf, ugh. Hell, even the artificial flowers were artificial.

Riverfront, Busch, Three Rivers, etc., etc. They all looked the same, and were about as appealing as Bose speakers.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Those ticket prices are great. If I was a Reds fan and living up there I'd be happy.

As far as my own experiences at ballparks they go like this:

Local games are $8 for box seats. Lots of $1 beer and 1/4 hot dog nights. Lots of free ticket nights too.

Road games for me:
The old Angels Anaheim Stadium. Tickets were cheap. Seats were nosebleed.

Dodger Stadium: 3 times: My next door neighbor played for them in the 80's so I got free tickets. The environment is incredible there. I really enjoy the place.

Royals Stadium: Sucked. Tickets were nicely priced. The Stadium is showing its age.

Busch Stadium in St Louis: Same deal as the Dodger Tickets. Even stayed in their hotel for player prices :)
Seats were good. The stadium has changed since I have been there last though so I expect the environment to have changed. This was in '86.

Day Game last year at Wrigley Field. Incredible experience that any baseball fan should experience. Tickets were $17 IIRC and the seats were good. Food was amazing.

I'm most interested in seeing a game at Miller Park, The Seattle Stadium(Forgot the name), Yankee Stadium, and Fenway Park.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
David L. ..... Thanks for providing the pics. Looks great.

Man! Not much foul territory at all, huh? Nice for closeness to the action. :)

Win Joy Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe I am just getting stubborn in my old age...

But looking at the distance from the action, I enjoy going to "AA" games (Bowie Baysox) a WHOLE lot more these days...

Camden Yards is a nice field. but anything abouve the first level is just too far away in my opinion...

And this is comming from the guy who is also not buying anything above the 1st level for the Springsteen tour this year. My wife actually wanted a DNA scan of me just to prove I was not replaced with a clone... :)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
A lousy Opening Day @ GABP. (For Reds' fans.) :frowning:

(Well, at least the surroundings were pleasing. :))

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Agreed, David. A stinker of a game, but the ball park should serve fans well.

I got there early enough to walk around and take some pictures from various vantage points in the stadium. I was amazed how close the seats are.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
Busch Stadium in St Louis: Same deal as the Dodger Tickets. Even stayed in their hotel for player prices
Busch stadium is one of those horrible mid-60's cookie cutter multi-purpose abominations. That being said so many changes have been made and the place has been maintained great so that I think it's among the best in the league to watch baseball. It also helps with great fans. Even on a weeknight, in late April with the temperature in the low 50's, playing the Expos: we can get 35,000+ at a game here in St. Louis.
Do you realize that Busch stadium only has 5 baseball stadiums/fields that are older? Only 4 if you don't count Yankees stadium with it's early 70's total (almost gut) rehab.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I loved Tiger Stadium. Unless what I wanted to see was being obstructed by one of the many posts. Or when going to the restroom. Or trying to get a beer. Of course the difficulty getting a beer, reduced the necessity of going to the restroom.

I really like The Ballpark at Arlington. You know for sure that you are in Texas.

I’ve not been to many of the newer stadiums, but I love the newer parks that are for baseball only. And second Jack’s comments on the multipurpose parks—none of them were remotely satisfactory for baseball.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks