What's new

New Furnace Question (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Brown

Agent
I am looking at getting a new furnace for my house before the old one decides to die in the middle on winter (it is 37 hears old). Anyway, the gist of this post is to get your opinions on Rheem Furnaces. The gentleman who did the quote also suggested a furnace with variable speed blower and a 2 stage heater (50,000 btu and 75,000 btu). Does anyone think that it is worth it to get those options in upstate NY (they add about $700 to the price).

If it matters, there is also a central A/C unit with this which will not be replaced.

Thanks for you input,
Jeremy

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
personally I don't care for rheem. The 2 stage furnaces are nice, did he explain why they're more efficient? I'm not sure it would add 700 bucks though, that seems pretty steep, what was the BTU rating of the furnace?

Jeremy Brown

Agent
The more expensive furnace has the 2 stages which run at 75,000 btu and 50,000 btu, as well as a variable speed blower. The cheaper one is a single speed blower and a 75,000 btu furnace.

The dealer mentioned that the 2 stage furnace is more efficient, since on the not so cold days (30-50 degrees), the furnace can run at 50,000 btu instead of it's usual 75,000 btu. He also said that the variable speed blower would be more efficient, since it isn't always running at 'full blast', thus sucking up electricity. I think this would also be beneficial for the A/C.

What brands of furnaces do you prefer?

Thanks.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I prefer carrier brands (carrier, bryant, day night)
the variable speed blower will run on high speed for A/C. Most furnaces have 2 or 3 speeds, a low for heat and a higher for AC, which usually needs more airflow.

most of the low fire/high fire furnaces run on low fire for a set time, then either the house is warm and it cycles off, or it continues and kicks up to high fire, it really is pretty simple. The electricity the blower uses is the least of your expense IMO The idea with a 2 stage furnace is when the furnace comes on, it "warms up" for several minutes before the blower kicks on and it starts to heat, by running on low fire the furnace runs longer, and cycles less, but after a bit if high fire is needed it steps up to heat the house. A regular furnace on a cool day might warm up for 5 mintues, then run for 2 and shut down..

the carrier MVP furnace has an infinitely variable blower, and I'm not sure on the burner, haven't really worked on one, they're fairly expensive and pretty uncommon where I was. They are super SUPER quiet though, if that's a concern

E

Eric Kahn

I do not think you would ever recoupe the extra price in savings for a long time and that is just one more thing to go wrong, just go with a 93+ Eff furnace and you will see a big difference form what you had

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I do not think you would ever recoupe the extra price in savings for a long time and that is just one more thing to go wrong, just go with a 93+ Eff furnace and you will see a big difference form what you had
how cold does it get in rochester? 700 bucks shouldn't take that long to pay back, I guess it depends on the climate, your contractor could probably give you an estimate.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I can say that the two-stage Carrier furnace I got three years ago has made an enormous difference in my energy costs. I'm saving over 300 bucks each winter season, which means that in my case the $700 difference would be realized within three years. Of course, we get some cold winters here in Chicago. Things might be realatively balmy up in Rochester. :D

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I can say that the two-stage Carrier furnace I got three years ago has made an enormous difference in my energy costs.
:D good choice!
seriously consider a carrier, not only are they a top shelf product, they're a little more selective about who their dealers are. Honestly, anyone can buy rheem/ruud.

Jeremy Brown

Agent
how cold does it get in Rochester? 700 bucks shouldn't take that long to pay back, I guess it depends on the climate, your contractor could probably give you an estimate.
Cold enough to need a furnace :) Seriously though, the winter months will usually see lows of 10-20F, so not too warm.
I will look into a Carrier product. Thanks for the info.

DennisHP

Second Unit
Don't forget to inquire about any incentives/low interest rate financing from your power company for replacing with a high efficiency unit. I saved several hundred bucks in interest when I replaced my furnace a couple years ago.

I'm a HVAC contractor.

The only furnaces I would put in my own house are Carrier (same as Bryant), Amana, or Lennox.

Jeremy Brown

Agent
Ok, I had the Carrier Contractor come out last night, and he actually recommended American Standard. Anyone have any opinions/comments on these?

Thanks again for the help.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I'm just amazed that a contractor would go out for an estimate for someone asking about carrier products and reccomend something else. I can understand reccomending day night or bryant over a carrier furnace to save the customer a few dollars, but american standard? next he'll be selling janitrol or tempstar :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks