What's new

New Fox Strategy-- One-Disc Now, Two-Disc SE Later (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I was in Wal-Mart earlier and I noticed on their "medium" discount rack there was a one-disc version of "Die Hard" it was disc one of the 5 Star/Collector edition. Does anyone know if the two disc version is going on moratorium like many of their two disc editions awhile back? Anyone else know what other titles are being scaled back?

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
What's going on with Fox? Apparently all of their major releases (Club Dread, Man On Fire, The Day After Tomorrow, I, Robot) are all being released with minmal extras as a single-disc release issue, only to be rereleased later as a 2-disc special edition at a later date.

I know Man On Fire has an SE coming out in due time and that The Day After Tomorrow -- which is getting released as a 2-disc SE in R2 -- will eventually as well. In this thread:

Alex Proyas Discusses I,Robot DVD

we learn that we're only going to get a "vanilla only" release of I, Robot to start. While Sony has done the same with Hellboy, they at least told us that there was to be a 3-DVD SE down the pike. Here, we're not told anything-- until we've already bought the discs. This is shameful. If the material's ready for releases in other regions, give it to us now instead of trying to jab us twice. In the case of The Day After Tomorrow, I might have picked it up as an SE, but by the time that finally is released, I will have long ceased stop caring and won't likely bother with it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm leaving for LA today to attend the HTF National Meet and we will be at Fox on Monday, I will ask then what is their dvd release strategy regarding this issue.

Crawdaddy

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I already started a thread about Fox's "new release strategy" here.
Now, I'm by no means a Columbia fan, and they had more than their fair share of unannounced double-dips (usually, as is the case with I Robot, the beans were spilled by the director or somebody else outside the studio). But the difference is that in the case of Columbia those SEs weren't finished at the time the single discer was released, whereas with Fox it's quite obvious that the SEs are already done, considering that other regions are getting them. That's what really pisses me off.

I'm certainly curious what Robert's gonna find out in LA.

Chris

WillG

Senior HTF Member
It is annoying, but I could live with it. We're usually pretty astute here in smelling a double dip from pretty far away. I can wait a little longer for the inevitable SE down the line. What I don't like is the single disc release and deluxe edition released on the same day where ther deluxe sells for a premium price and becomes hard to find in stores.

But if other regions are getting the SEs right off the bat and making us wait here, that is dumb. But I'm not going to be pulled in. I have mostly avoided the whole double dip thing by steering clear of Bare Bones DVDs (unless I can pick them up in the 5.50 bin at Wal*Mart or something like that.)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
garfield the movie is getting a 2 disc special edition in the UK.. it includes deleted scenes (about 15 minutes worth) and featurettes.. I know there are some fans that would be interested in that.

JACOB

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I think this is a plan that's going to backfire. If there were a fully-loaded Day After Tomorrow disc available next month, I'd buy it. But if I have to wait 6 months -- and at that point can watch the damn thing on HBO -- forget it. There are enough releases in the pipeline that I'm interested in that I'll forget about the rerelease-- or will have allocated my resources elsewhere. Good one, Fox.

richardWI

Second Unit
Yeah, the flipside is the increased availiblity of new releases for rent really cheap at places like Blockbuster. I rented the SE Goodfellas a few weeks ago for 99 cents (plus tax), same for Duel, and others that aren't "new" movies, but still new releases. I'd imagine at some point the studios would want to crack down on this, because it can't be helping their sales. Another way to stop this is to do a THX 1138 release with a single and double disc version at the same time and sending the single disc to the rental chains.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
So does anyone know if any Fox 2-Disc SEs are going on Moritorium do be replaced with one disc versions or not?

Travis W.

Second Unit
This two disc plan doesn't seem to be working at all for any studio. The Underworld Extended Cut is collecting dust at every store I go to, same with Black Hawk Down and several others. I think a special edition only does well when there's hype over a sequel or something AKA media tie-ins.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Maybe that's because the extended cut of underworld was released like two days after everyone bought the regular edition. I wish the studios would stop trying to think of "brilliant" ways to milk titles and JUST RELEASE THE GOD DAMN SE RIGHT OFF THE BAT.

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator
See it's stupid because with am ovie like underworLd I got enough bullshit extras on the first release now I have no desire to get the other one. Same thing with Hellboy. I'd rather spend that extra money on 227. Fuck Hellboy.

NOW if the studios just released thebig SE's on the same day as the regular ones I'd probably buy the big special editoons. This happened with Mystic River and the new Massacre. I buy the big editions because if I wind up loving the movie I'll want all I can have on it. I wound up hating both and if I had had to doubledip like Fox wants me to with man on Fire or I,Robot I would've been like 'oh hellllllll no'. Hell i'm allready having doubts about doubledipping the Kill Bill movies and I love those it's just I love What's Happening and Seinfeld more! And now Disney would've lost out on money so what I'm saying is....JUST PUT OUT THE BIG SETS ALLREADY.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Hellboy's a different story, as we knew from the start that there would be an SE right off the bat. And the "regular" Hellboy ain't no chump change either. These Fox releases (and Underworld) are hateful because they've been sprung on us without letting us know that double-dipping was in the cards from the very beginning.

Spiderman 2 is in the same category. I know they're planning a Spiderman 2.5 with cut footage reinsterted into the film.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
When studios or the cast and crew themeseleves announce that a special edition of their film will be released after the first release of their film, then I am okay with that (as is the case with the LOTR trilogy and Hellboy), but I do not appreciate buying a DVD and then a month later getting news that a bigger edition will be released at another date.

And you know what? All the LOTR films and Hellboy were packed special editions to begin with. The additional releases were just extra gravy for the fans who dug the flicks. It wasn't just the movie.

Seriously, FOX used to be one of the best studios for DVD releases out there. But in the past year or so, they've been slipping. Why is Club Dread getting a double dip when the film tanked during it's theatrical release and the initial DVD sales weren't so hot to begin with? They couldn't release the special edition first? They had to release the movie-only edition right away? Seriously, how many people actually liked the film to begin with besides myself? Twenty-six?

Why does The Day After Tomorrow, Man on Fire, Garfield, and I, Robot get two-disc releases first everywhere else but here?

Why does The Girl Next Door get a dual-layer disc everywhere else, but we have to get a dual-sided disc instead? The extras on that disc to not total up to a little bit more than a half an hour.

FOX has went from the best studio for DVD releases (bar none) to now a simply piss-poor lazy studio. I hope they option more of their catalog titles to Anchor Bay or Criterion because it simply shows that they honestly do not give a flying fuck anymore.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Didnt Club Dread horribly bomb? I mean like really, really, bad?

How would this even get two releases? I cant imagine it would sell enough to warrant a second release.

Not putting the movie down for those who liked it. I just am trying to get the idea.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Did it bomb? Yes - it came up just shy of $5 million. My guess is that Fox figures it'll have a cult following - not a lot of fans, but those who like it will REALLY like it and want the longer version...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks