What's new

New Fox Digipaks: CAST AWAY, THE SOUND OF MUSIC, THE ABYSS, others? (1 Viewer)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Although Peter Staddon referred to this in chat over a year-and-a-half ago, Fox's newly re-packaged 2-disc sets are apparently just now finally hitting shelves. I recently spotted The Abyss and Cast Away (at Best Buy) and The Sound Of Music (at Costco) in attractive, colorful Digipaks. In other words, these 2-disc titles--formerly in either the 'fat' or standard width 2-disc Amarays--are now packaged like the 2-disc Fight Club. ID4 was also announced for re-packaging, but I haven't come across it yet in stores. (The announcement of Digipak packaging of course followed word in I think early spring of 2002 that these titles were being "discontinued." They were then replaced with $19.99 single-disc versions sans nearly all supplements.)

I'm hoping someone who has purchased the Digipak Abyss or Cast Away who also had the original 2-disc release can comment on the contents of the two releases. I want to make doubly sure that the contents are identical before re-purchasing the new, more attractive packaging. Interestingly, although the new Cast Away packaging gets the aspect ratio right (it is a 1.85 movie and was labeled 2.35 on the original release), the audio is no longer listed as DTS ES or DD EX. (Also, let me know if you have interest in buying a mint condition Abyss and/or Cast Away original 2-disc release.)

Also, since Fox's "Five Star Collection" brand has been discontinued (go figure; the re-packaged Sound Of Music does *not* feature that moniker), please chime in if you've heard anything about whether or not Speed, Die Hard or M*A*S*H will also be similarly re-packaged. I PMd and e-mailed Staddon about this in March 2002 shortly after the chat in which he mentioned this, but did not receive a response. Will also be interesting to see if other Fox 2-discers like From Hell get this re-packaging.

Paul

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Paul,

These are the same releases as the originals. I think they dropped the ES and EX so it wouldn't confuse certain customers into thinking they needed another format on their receiver.

Simon Basso

Stunt Coordinator
Paul, did I read your post correctly? You're buying these again because of the packaging, even though the discs are identical?

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Simon:

Paul, did I read your post correctly? You're buying these again because of the packaging, even though the discs are identical?
That's right, incredulous sports fans. IF the discs are identical. (Thanks for the reply, Dave. If what you're saying about the labeling WRT audio formats is true, I think it sets a bad precedent.)

(Not planning on buying every one--per my post I'm/we're not even sure what titles Fox is going to re-package. Just Cast Away and The Abyss . . . so far. I love both of those films, and the packaging is terribly attractive. If you haven't done so, I suggest you check it out before, um, passing judgment :) .)

-p

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Sounds like he's interested in consistent packaging. I am also. That's why I think snappers should be discontinued. All single discs should come in keepcases. Double discs should be packaged differently, however. He also mentioned that he wanted to sell the original, so he wants to replace his packaging with the more consistent packaging.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Planet of the Apes (2001) was also in the deal and has been repackaged. Haven't paid much attention to Sound of Music, but for the most part, the new covers look pretty darn spiffy. Not a fan of Cast Away's new cover. It's just a still of Tom Hanks with fire and looks rather cheap.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I liked the original Castaway cover better and I think the 2-disc Armaray was nice.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Would be nice to stay focused on differences in contents (if any) and not devolve into debate over (de)merits of the different covers/packaging. :)

Anyone been able to find cover shots for these yet?
Stephen, the new covers are up at DVDPlanet.com (and you can click on them to enlarge). Oddly, the site lists an availability date of October 14.

Price is $18.89/each. Given that and the MSRP of $26.98, I'm left scratching my head, Brian, about the Best Buy two-for-$25 promotion you mention. For instance, since its a corporate chain, I wonder why I wouldn't see the same promotion at my local Best Buys. Don't mean to seem cheeky, but are you sure you weren't looking at a 2-pack of the single-disc versions of some combination of Cast Away/The Abyss/ID4?

-p

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I'm left scratching my head, Brian, about the Best Buy two-for-$25 promotion you mention. For instance, since its a corporate chain, I wonder why I wouldn't see the same promotion at my local Best Buys. Don't mean to seem cheeky, but are you sure you weren't looking at a 2-pack of the single-disc versions of some combination of Cast Away/The Abyss/ID4?
There was a 2 for $25 promotion for the special editions sometime in July, but that could have ended by now. So it is possible that Best Buy is still selling them, but not at that low price.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I am incredibly disappointed that Fox did not use this opportunity to give SOUND OF MUSIC a new transfer. This duplicate re-issue will mean another five year wait before we can hope for an improved edition, I guess.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I am incredibly disappointed that Fox did not use this opportunity to give SOUND OF MUSIC a new transfer. This duplicate re-issue will mean another five year wait before we can hope for an improved edition, I guess
I, too, would pay some *real money* for a decent Sound of Music transfer on DVD.

I purchased the original "5-STAR Collection" version of this title back in August 2000 and it was only just recently, with the acquisition of a new progressive scan player, that I've been able to tolerate the transfer at all. While the progressive scan player seems to help out with the black levels, and somehow seems to somewhat reduce some of the EE, this remains as one of the all time worse transfers of a blockbuster movie on DVD in my collection.

FWIW, I keep hearing rumors that we may finally be getting a digitally restored version of this movie (perhaps by LDI or a similar shop?) in around 18-24 months.

Certainly, it would seem that Fox will have to do something to improve the transfer before they could even consider a release to HD-DVD and/or Blu-Ray.

Brian Mello

Stunt Coordinator
There was a 2 for $25 promotion for the special editions sometime in July, but that could have ended by now. So it is possible that Best Buy is still selling them, but not at that low price.
The promotion was only a one week sale deal perhaps to promote the new covers. Maybe they will have a similar sale in the future......but then again I'm still waiting for Best Buy to repeat the 2 for $25 Warner 2-disc SE sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks