What's new

New Fox Digipaks: CAST AWAY, THE SOUND OF MUSIC, THE ABYSS, others? (1 Viewer)

DouglasRobert

Second Unit
Die Hard is being "re-released" as a "Special Edition" according to DVD Planet.

$26.98

Looks like the same features as the Five Star Edition, probably just dropping the ***** logo in favor for the Special Edition name.

No idea what type of pachaging, probably digipacks (which I hate) like the other 2-Disc re-issues.

BruceKimmel

Stunt Coordinator
I'm just baffled by this. Please explain what you mean by this is one of the all-time worse transfers of a blockbuster film. I just put it on again and it looks just fine. I have a 56" Mitsubishi and a high-end progressive scan player. I suppose it could be a bit sharper every now and then, but it's better than the West Side Story transfer and it's just as good or better than the Criterion Spartacus, which I find less than stellar but which everyone here seems to rave about (probably because Mr. Harris is a regular here). I just shake my head in wonderment sometimes. Plus, statements like "worse transfer of a blockbuster film" are truly silly when you consider How The West Was Won, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World and several other blockbusters with really substandard transfers. My opinion, anyway.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I, too, like The Sound of Music......I'm not seeing many of the problems that people have spoken of.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thx for the tip re Die Hard, Douglas. Per my original post, it will be interesting to see if these Digipak re-releases will eventually extend to all the Five Star Collection titles.

Bruce, Scott et al.: especially since I haven't heard back from Dave yet, I'm wanting to keep the thread focus on comments re contents from guys who have a/the original release(s) and bought a Digipak re-release of that same title.

Ergo, unless and until that happens, I'd really appreciate your taking discussion of the TSOM transfer to PMs, e-mail or another thread. It has been discussed elsewhere on the Forum ad nauseum (here's just one spot: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=123027) and is definitely a topic that will hijack "my"/the thread. Thanks. :)

-p

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
No, I haven't. But, I know someone who has and they are the EXACT transfers.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Dave:

Thx for the reply.

Perhaps you're using the word "transfers" loosely, but it's not really the telecine that I'm concerned about (knowing that Fox would be trumpeting such if these were indeed new transfers).

I'm more interested in confirmation that the supplements are identical and that nothing has been quietly dropped from the original releases.

-p

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i still havent seen speed, but....

i was in borders today and saw abyss, castaway, sound of music new digipacs.

in the beginning when there were first re-released (ID4 Inlcuded) for at least the first few weeks they were best buy only item.
then they were spotted at costco. including fight club.
i think they had a coupon on them for ,umm, indiana jones?

these were all the 2 dvd special editions in a new package.
except fight club(same old one), which is now being advertised along with die hard in rolling stone mag, the one with jessica simpson on the cover.

anyway also at borders now.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thx for additional recent posts, guys.

TonyD et al.:

then they were spotted at costco. including fight club.
i think they had a coupon on them for ,umm, indiana jones?
Hmmm--haven't seen the Digipaks at Costco. But a point of clarification regarding items I have seen there: the terrific bargains that are the 2-title pairings from both Fox (i.e., The Beach & Joy Ride) and Paramount (i.e., The Sum Of All Fears & Changing Lanes). I think just with this comment you might be confusing these 2-title pairs for the Digipak re-releases of 2-disc SEs. (Brian Mello mentions in his post #6 above that he saw a promotion for two of these Digipak SEs for $25 at Best Buy, but did anyone see this promotion at Costco?)

Also, there wouldn't be Indiana Jones coupons on Fox DVDs--Dr. Jones is a Paramount title. :) The $10 off Indy coupons were/are on the back of the 2-title pairings from Par.

(Although the selection is limited in terms of what titles are available, I continue to be surprised and impressed with the dynamic stock and low prices of the DVDs at my local Costco.)

-p

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks