What's new

New Eminem CD (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
He may be talented but maybe he should serve it somewhere else.
Why? It's people's own fault for making such a big deal out of it.

With all this overblown nonsense and enjoying the songs that O&A played, I'm considering picking up a CD or two. Dr Dre's production is also really nice.

I like offensive music, so there.

JasonK

Supporting Actor
If I'm not mistaken, didn't Anthrax also make derogatory comments about Tipper Gore, (similar to what Eminem does to Cheney's wife) in one of their songs?
If memory serves, it's a song attacking the parental advisory labels.

The title was "Starting Up A Posse" on the Attack of the Killer B's CD.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
It's funny that tipper gore should be mentioned because correct quote from the track 'White America' is

"Fuck you Miss Cheney

Fuck you Tipper Gore

Fuck you with the freeness of speech this Divided States of Embarrassment will allow you to have

Fuck You"

But back on topic,...

I only have only listened totally through it twice so far (particular tracks more often). It doesn't seem quite as catchy as The Marshall Mathers LP musically but the lyrics are just as complex. I certainly enjoyed it more on my second listen through. so my one line review would be: A bit more raw than the previous outing (not counting d12) but still a provocative listen.

Is it just me or are there a couple of spots where the lyrics are altered to be unintelligible??

Ike

Screenwriter
He may be talented but maybe he should serve it somewhere else. I read today in the Wall Street Journal about some interesting upcoming lyrics directed at VP Dick Cheney's wife:

What, Cheney's wife is untouchable? She did testify against him. Does anybody know why? I keep seeing the same 15 second clip on VH1 of her talking about how he advocates raping his mother and has hateful misogyny in his lyrics, but I've never seen them tell who she is testifying to, or why.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
...the lyrics are just as complex.
:crazy:
I've heard more complex lyrics at the bar, if that's the case, but I don't know many people who would call such diatribes talent. I'd like to believe that he has something to say, but needing to use profanity to drive every point home doesn't say much for his argumentative skills.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
David, all you did was take a snippet of lyrics. I could do the same with any band you like and point out how silly it is. Anyone like the Beatles? I could grab a couple of lyrics that sound really corny out of context, too.

What's wrong with using profanity? It's a real practice that people do. It's just as valid as not using it. It's something that people do when they are angry or aggressive. Why do we have to avoid it in song?

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
I'm not trying to mess this thread up, honestly, but to clarify how I interpretted David's comments, Mike...
Using "profanity" is a valid tool to me. I particularly like the word "damn" :) To me they are just stronger, and sometimes more specific words that allow one to drive a point home. Although those words are often used just to hurt others, that not the fault of the words.
The problem arises when one uses them over and over and over. It's like using an exclamation point on every sentence. When everything is emphasized, then nothing is. In M&M's case, that translates to if everything's offensive, nothing is, and I just get bored. This is just my opinion, I realize.
And it does take more talent to carefully construct a convincing argument than it does to say, "You must be a (bleep) cause you're (bleeping) (bleep)."
So anyway, has anyone else heard the new album? How is it?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yo, Jeff, you ain't messin' up this thread

'Cause you telling us the music stopped you dead.

You think Marshall's message'll get through

If the lyrics didn't so offend you.

In short, a valid comment.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
True, Jeff. But Eminem doesn't swear all the time. The lyric quoted is a tirade at the end of a song. The rest of the song has a swear every so often, but he's saying a lot of stuff.

I've heard rap that is as you describe and the effect is as you say. However, Eminem isn't one of those.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Fair enough. I'm certainly not an expert on him, having only downloaded a couple of songs a while back. I remember thinking he was excessive, which is how I drew the conclusions, but I respect the folks here that see more to it than I have thus far.
At least I can forevermore say that I inspired a man to rap. I think that's a first for me. :D And he didn't call me a (bleep) once!

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Nah, I'm not "expert" either, but like I said in earlier post, I was listening to some of the new tracks on O&A, and I've heard other stuff before.

One song of his from the last album that was pretty good was the one that sample Dido. Pretty spooky.

And he didn't call me a (bleep) once!

Hah! Not to your face, at least. (j/k)

NP: Bill Bruford's Earthworks, Footloose in NYV, DVD-V

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
oh well done David, take the first part of my post which was merely the correction of a misquote a couple of posts back, mix it with a fraction of sentence from the second half of my post, yes you really showed us how wrong we are to think he might be talented. :/

It doesn't seem quite as catchy as The Marshall Mathers LP musically but the lyrics are just as complex.
care to quote all the Marshall Mathers LP lyrics and all the Eminem Show Lyrics and compare lyrical complexity that way rather than take 4 lines that the wall street journal feels the need to misquote due to their political content?

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
wall street journal feels the need to misquote due to their political content?
I love the Wall Street Journal - best newspaper in the USA!
They pretty much quoted it on target, if slightly off, and it is still offensive to say that to the Vice President's wife.
Maybe M&M could take some of his millions and found a lobbying group and try to change the censorship he is so concerned about.
Oops, that might not sell any records. :)

MikeKaz

Stunt Coordinator
holy crap. you know what sucks is when you write a long reply when youre not logged in and then the system won't even let you go back to the page you just typed the whole thing in, it just give you another screen telling you youre not logged in. ill try to write it all again some other time. dang

Greg Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
I have to agree with the majority on the new album here. I'm not a big fan of rap music, but I can't stop listening to this cd. It doesn't seem quite as 'catchy' as the last album, but that will probably mean that I won't get burned out on it easily. It's not musically boring though, quite the contrary, the beats are fantastic. Just listen to 'White America', musically and lyrically it hits you like a brick to the face. I keep going back to tracks 2,3,8,10,14,16, and 18, which is impressive since most recent cds will be lucky to have me repeating 3 or 4 songs. The song playing right now actually uses Aerosmith's Dream On as the background and surprisingly works. He also attempts to sing on another song and while he is NOT a singer the song is well done enough to enjoy it. For better or for worse, I can imagine mtv picking up on this song the way they did when kid rock tried to sing. The only gripe I have is that some of the guest rapper appearances don't work as well as others. However, on the whole the album is fantastic.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a big fan of rap music, but I can't stop listening to this cd.
Thus demonstrating the power the music has over you. I saw The Beatles in person, live, before thousands of screaming fans. This is something that cannot and will not be stopped. An everlasting language, eh? (Erm, "nice post." I get ribbed for saying that.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks