What's new

New Edition of Life of Brian (1 Viewer)

isaac

Auditioning
Was wandering my local futureshop (best buy owns them I think) and noticed that the "new release" rack had copies of Monty Python's Life of Brian for the nice sum of $25 (cdn). Doesn't appear to be the anchor bay release, and its certainly not the criterion - does anybody know anything about this edition? It claims to have dolby 5.1 and an anamorphic transfer. I can't seem to find any info on this release anywhere online.

I'm debating buying it - but maybe I should just pony up and get a copy of the criterion if I can find it?

Todd Hostettler

Second Unit
Look closer. Maybe you've got it confused with the new Meaning Of life set that's supposed to be released next week. The title graphic for both are pretty similar.

isaac

Auditioning
It's definatly Life of Brian, at first when I saw it I thought they'd made a mistake and put of Meaning of Life out early, and was all excited.

I can't remember who put it out, but I'm going to check again today.

isaac

Auditioning
Its released by Columbia-Tristar, and is definatly a 2003 release (it even has trailers for Punch Drunk Love on it).

On quick viewing on my computer the sound seems to have some noice in it, and the picture is very grainy - but I haven't seen any of the previous editions on DVD - so I don't know if this is normal, worse, or better.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I made the mistake of picking this one up... Terrible picture, not much better then VHS. I should have ponied up for the criterion... in short, skip this one.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
What Doug said.

The Criterion edition uses a print closer in relation to the orginal source than the Columbia-TriStar version. There are no extras, and the cover art is deceptively simililar to the Criterion edition (based on the soundtrack album artwork). The Anchor Bay edition uses the film's original poster art.

Spend the extra money on the Criterion edition - worth it for the commentaries alone.

isaac

Auditioning
Actually it has a special feature listed as "The Pythons" - which i think is a short documentary.

Intrestingly - when the disc starts the movie, I get the standard commentary disclaimer - but there are no commentaries on the disk - could this be a stripped down version of the Criterion release?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks