What's new

New DVD Player Question (1 Viewer)

NathanL

Agent
I have a few questions. Right now my setup is a 24" Sony FD Trinitron WEGA TV (KV-24FV300)and my Playstation 2 as a dvd player. I'm looking at getting a seperate DVD player. I was wondering if I would see any increase in quality of video or audio at all by switching to a seperate DVD player with progressive scan.

I'm rather confused about the whole progressive scan thing. I know how it works techinically and how you use mainly use it with HD TVs but does it make the picture look any better on a TV like mine? I was thinking it might make it look a little better since I do have component inputs but wasn't sure.

Thanks.

JohnSterling

Stunt Coordinator
You might see some difference. You hear about it being used on bigger TV's because that's where you'll see the greatest difference....and folks with bigger TV's are usually looking for better quality viewing.

There are a lot of decent PS players that fall within the $100 price range that would likely work great for you. Just don't expect to hear a choir of angels when you start up that first movie... :)

Muhammed

Agent
Progressive Scan won't make any difference to you unless you purchase a TV that can accept progressive inputs. All HDTVs are capable of this.

It's my understanding that regular TVs run in interlaced mode, they refresh the image by filling every 2nd line, then they go through and fill the gaps. Progressive scan does one line at a time sequencially giving you a more film-like image. A progressive scan DVD player has to dissemble the images and reassemble them into non-interlaced frames (information is included for every line of the frame).

A new DVD player might be better than the PS2, i've never used it as a DVD player, but you're most likely going to be concerned about the interlaced or non-progressive performance. Progressive scan won't do anything unless you have a TV that supports it.

NathanL

Agent
Ok thanks, I figured It wouldn't work but I thought it was worth a shot asking.

Also, what do you guys think of DVD-Audio. Is it worth getting a dvd-a compatible player or is it a waste of money?

JohnSterling

Stunt Coordinator
Since your set has component inputs, you can utilize PS.

I tried DVD-Audio and wasn't impressed....BUT....I had a Toshiba 4800, which has no bass mgt and I'm also not an Audiophile.

I think if you hunt around and find a good DVD-A player, it might be worth it. That's going to cost a few extra bucks...however. :) I think Pioneer has got a relatively cheap DVD-A/SACD player for under $200.

Muhammed

Agent
Even with components, the set generally has to be Rear projection or HD to take advantage of PS, it has to directly support progressive scan in order for you to use it, most mid-range newer direct-view sets have component inputs, but don't support progressive mode.

The Pioneer John mentioned is a great all around player, and lists for around $180. If you're not an audiophile, DVD-A might be nice to have, but the titles out there for both SACD and DVD-A are limited, and by the time either format becomes dominant, you'll probably be in the market for a new player.

david stark

Second Unit
I was using a playstation 2 with my TV for a weekend when I was waiting for my new DVD player. My tv is a HDTV so when I picked up my new dvd player I did see a big difference over the playstation, but this is a tad unfair since I'm now using a progressive input. I have tried it turning the prog scan off and I think the quality is better using the stand alone player.

I think you will pick up some improvement using a standalone dvd player. I noticed more than pic quality with the ps2 I was getting some serious lip-sync trouble on some DTS sound tracks which have dissapeared with the stand alone player.

As for DVD-A/SACD I've no idea. My dvd player is DVD-A compatible, but there is nothing I want on DVD-A (that isn't available on other formats). But then again I still buy vinyl so I'm not the best person to ask on new formats!

Peter_Al

Auditioning
I got DVD-A as it was only a $50 upgrade for me (SD-3800 to a SD-4800).
Hard to find DVD-A material that is any good (same with DVD-V). Doesn't really do much if the DVD-A is created out of a lower res old 'original'. Probably only need it if you listen to classical music (maybe jazz) as those are the most demanding.

You would also need the speakers and amp to backup the DVD-A quality.. otherwise it's wasted ;).

But it does sound amazing ;)

Pete.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks