What's new

New Dish Network Deal (1 Viewer)

Geordy

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, couple of questions...
The dish comes thurs, so I have a week before I get in over my head...I got the PVR501 deal.
The guy on the phone said I can use it for HDTV signals so long as I have the decoder....true or false?
DD is only optical?
and finally...
what kind of video out is on the satellite reciever?
thanks
Geordy
------------------

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
quote: The guy on the phone said I can use it for HDTV signals so long as I have the decoder....true or false?[/quote]
This seems false on the face of it.
In order to get HDTV on Dish Network, you need a model 6000 receiver. Period.
The 501 is designed for the other 500 non-HD channels.
Programs on a local channel that is transmitted by Dish Network, are converted from HD to NTSC if they originate in HD.
And lastly, Dish Network will be making a PVR for their HD channels in 2002.
I hope this answered the question, otherwise, you might want to describe what you mean by "use it for HDTV signals".
DD output is only in Toslink Optical (not coaxial). I think this is true of all DBS receivers.
The 501 has 1 S-Video output, 2 "Composite" video outputs, 2 sets of L/R audio outputs and 1 "RF" video output, all of which are usable at the same time (ie in parallel).
PS Just thought about it and added this - your statement quoted above only makes sense as " The model 6000 receiver will also tune Over The Air (broadcast) HDTV signals if you add the 8VSB decoder. Otherwise, it only receives Dish Network channels, of which about 3-4 are in HDTV, and the rest NTSC. " This, of course, has nothing to do with the 501, but perhaps the phone guy thought you were now talking about the 6000 instead when he said that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks