What's new

New Cover Art: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1 Viewer)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The movie, or the cover art?
Both, but first and foremost, the original album is, to my ears, an unlistenable piece of dreck that is so annoying and gimmicky, that I truly question the sanity of people who continue to listen to it today.

Is that a multi-coloured arrow in my hat? :laugh:

Let the flaming begin! ;)

Gordy

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
While I love my Beatles albums with all my heart, this movie haunts me to this day. A truly frightening piece of cinema.

The cover sucks too.

I'm sure someone here loves it, though. Almost every film has its fans. Heck, I love CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC!

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
George Burns sings Fixing A Hole

Steve Martin sings Maxwell's Silver Hammer

The BeeGees and Peter Frampton vs. Aerosmith!!!!

This movie has got it all!

...for me to poop on. (ahem)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
They should have made the cover in the style of DiscoVision laserdiscs, with the silver cover and the large "V" opening with the cover art behind it.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
I was 7/8 when this movie came out and for years I thought these were all Bee Gee and Frampton songs. Now THAT is a great tragedy of my life.

haha.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
...the original album is, to my ears, an unlistenable piece of dreck that is so annoying and gimmicky, that I truly question the sanity of people who continue to listen to it today.
Do you mean the original soundtrack album to the film or the original Beatles Sgt. Peppers album?

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
I can't wait for this DVD.

This movie is so unbelievably, unfathomably awful that it's an absolute kick in the pants to watch!

Nothing like 2 hours of wretched emoting from Peter Frampton and the Brothers Gibb to the tune of horrific covers of late-era Beatles tunes!

MOO! MOO HAH!!!!!! :)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The original 1967 'Look at all our studio trickery' album. Meh. :thumbsdown:

MacCartney: I am the only one who finds this man unfathomably annoying? His self-flattery in interviews, twee, naive viewpoints - which are reflected in his mediocre songs. Oh, dear.

It's all populist rubbish, just like Star Wars. Granted, there are those who saw them back in the 'good old days', but the way of explanation now is: 'It's The Beatles/Star Wars - of course it is a masterpiece for all-times. Well, I for one - and I'll stand alone if need-be - disagree. Gimme... The Ramones or The Clash any day over The Beatles. Gimme The Stooges. But not just 'punk' - give me Dylan, Neil Young or Captain Beefheart. The Beatles, to me, epitomize the 'safe' side of rock/pop - they are as safe as milk from the Virgin Mary's breast and I hate 'safe' music - gimme RAW POWER! Or just honesty, which can be found in music from Wagner to Hank Williams to The Smiths. But not in The Beatles' music. The hoards of screaming young girls have long since been silenced! ;)

No offense to any fans of The Fab Four. In fact, I give them their due: they were a monumental force in rock/pop and deserve credit and respect to some degree, but I have seen and heard enough. It just bores me now.

Am I finished? Just about! ;)

Star Wars (1977, George Lucas) would be a film I still love if it had been a one-off, raw-power-imbued $10m B-movie and remained untouched all these years. Think about it. But it's all too much for my pre-warped head now. :frowning:

Rant over. Here comes the nurse with me pills - almost strap-down time. ;)

Gordy

James_Garner

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Garner
Sigh, I thought this movie would been cut a little slack in this post-"Moulin Rouge"-era. Apparently not. So, Its ok to put "Sound of Music," "Smells Like Teen Spirit," "Lady Marmalade" & "Your Song" in a musical set in late 1800's Paris, But Frampton & the Bee Gees are still burning at the stake for doing something similar 20-odd years earlier?

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator

Give the fans some credit...they don't believe The Beatles a "masterpiece for all-times" simply because others believe The Beatles a "masterpiece for all-times", rather they hear and understand for themselves the genius of this band....really! Sometimes there is a very, very valid reason FOR a popular consensus...The Beatles is a prime example.

You have the ability to appreciate (as do I) Bob Dylan, Neil Young...and Captain Beefheart?!?!?!?!?:D...yet The Beatles bore you??? :)

C'mon Gordon.....join us at the Temple of Beatle Worship...you KNOW you want to! EVERYONE is there...Bob, Neil, Don, The Smiths, The Clash, Ramones...everyone...you should be too! ;););)

Peace!

JOn

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Actually, I've always liked this movie. It might be because I was a kid, and I wasn't that familiar with the Beatles at the time, but I've always enjoyed the music. I even have the 2 LP set of the soundtrack.

Between this movie and the Boston Pops does the Beatles cassette that I wore out, exposed me to many Beatles songs I probably wouldn't have otherwise heard.

Sure, it is cheesy as hell, but it is a lot of fun for me.

I'm also curious to see it in OAR, since I've only seen it on TV...

Jason

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator
That new cover proves: you can't polish a turd. :D

Actually, it reminds me of another movie that contains ALL Beatles songs covered by other artists. A film I've never seen but I have the soundtrack on 8-Track which I cannot access but I'd love to hear. Tell me if you agree, with this track listing:

All This and World War II (1976, Fox) {89:05}

01. Ambrosia- Magical Mystery Tour (3:52)
02. Elton John- Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds (5:11)
03. The Bee Gees- Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight (3:12)
04. Leo Sayer- I Am the Walrus (3:27)
05. Bryan Ferry- She's Leaving Home (3:07)
06. Roy Wood- Lovely Rita (1:13)
07. Keith Moon- When I'm Sixty-Four (2:28)
08. Rod Stewart- Get Back (3:45)
09. Leo Sayer- Let It Be (3:43)
10. David Essex- Yesterday (2:44)
11. Jeff Lynne- With a Little Help From My Friends/Nowhere Man (5:51)
12. The Bee Gees- She Came in Through the Bathroom Window (1:54)
13. Richard Cocciante- Michelle (4:00)
14. The Four Seasons- We Can Work It Out (2:39)
15. Helen Reddy- The Fool on the Hill (3:37)
16. Frankie Laine- Maxwell's Silver Hammer (3:27)
17. The Brothers Johnson- Hey Jude (4:03)
18. Roy Wood- Polythene Pam (1:30)
19. The Bee Gees- Sun King (2:03)
20. Status Quo- Getting Better (2:19)
21. Lynsey De Paul- Because (2:51)
22. Leo Sayer- The Long and Winding Road (3:35)
23. Henry Gross- Help (3:07)
24. Peter Gabriel- Strawberry Fields Forever (2:30)
25. Frankie Valli- A Day in the Life (4:04)
26. Tina Turner- Come Together (3:23)
27. Wil Malone & Lou Reizner- You Never Give Me Your Money (3:04)
28. The London Symphony Orchestra- The End (2:26)

The standout artists I'd like to hear are: Ambrosia, Roy Wood, Keith Moon, Rod Stewart, David Essex, Jeff Lynne and Peter Gabriel. Has anyone heard this record or seen this film? I'm sure music rights issues will keep this from ever coming out anytime soon even if there was a demand which there isn't.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Maybe I am too harsh when I pass judgment on the musical and cultural worth of The Beatles, but I can only state what I feel inside of me, and that is that I don't like 90% of their songs.

# Me-chelle, ma belle, these are words that go together well... #Argh! No! No! No! NO! :D

Twee, agonizingly simplistic and dull. Not that Neil Young hasn't laid a turd every know and again, but it's the attitude and intent behind a song or performance that matters. Dylan and Young have always been dangerous and self-driven towards new and unusual avenues of creative expression. The 1973 Tonight's The Night tour and eventual 1975 album, for me, sum it all up: give the audience what they least expect, but something that will do the artist and audience more good in the long run. That tour (ever hear the bootleg audience tapes?) is for me, the nadir of great rock and roll, for it takes the superstar status and blasts it into the stratosphere - oblitorates it, and it is all done with cunning humour and irrelevance.

But 'In My Life' is a great son. And I like the weirder songs on the 'White Album' - 'Bungalow Bill', shit like that. And the film, A Hard Day's Night is great fun.

But when I weigh it all up - my musical tastes, I can never figure The Beatles.
C'mon Gordon.....join us at the Temple of Beatle Worship...you KNOW you want to! EVERYONE is there...Bob, Neil, Don, The Smiths, The Clash, Ramones...everyone...you should be too!
That's how Hitler got into office! :laugh:

I'm joking, of course. :)

# All you need is love... # - Really? Then what do you need all that money for Mr Lennon? And you Harrison - do your gurus approve of all this?! :laugh: MacCartney... are your fingers crossed?! :laugh: Mr Starkey... err... hi! :)

Great stuff. ;)

Gordy

James_Garner

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Garner
Has anyone heard this record or seen this film
Yes, I have seen this film at the Library of Congress. It's not a musical, but a collection of World War II-related footage (Although it also includes scenes from "Casablanca" & "Patton") scored to the songs listed above. the results are a mixed bag; but the "Yesterday" sequence (which shows guilty-looking people being led to a trial, double agents, maybe?) had a pognant effect on me.

Oh, Jason, "Pepper" is a quite different movie in its original panavision ratio:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks