What's new

New Budjet.. Now what. (1 Viewer)

Nick.S

Stunt Coordinator
OK I have increased the money that I want to spend on a receiver. Mostly because the features that I want are only in a few models. I am thinking the denon 3803 or the yamaha 2400. I want a receiver that can take composite svideo and component inputs and output it all through 1 component output. I just purchased jbl e90's for the mains and I am going to get the rest of the jbl series to go along with them. I dont have a way to listen to any of these so I need one that will work well with my jbl's. My price rage is anywhere from 500 to 800.

Thanks
Nick.S

henning hoffmann

Stunt Coordinator
I think the new Sherwood R965 does what you want. It has quite an impressive feature list. I don't know the prices for the receivers you mention, but the Sherwood's list price is $2000.

Nick.S

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if the avr 7200 h/k can output all video signals to the component output?

Nick.S

Rob Grim

Stunt Coordinator
I just covered this on another thread. This is what I found on HK's site

It seems all the other newer model HK's state, if you run component, s-video or composite video into the receiver you must also run component, s-video and composite to your tv also. I've never had any experience with HK so maybe someone that currently owns a HK can chime in to correct me if I am wrong. But from what I've read on there site, it doesn't look like they have the video conversion.

Hope this helps.

Nick.S

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm so basically I am choosing either the Yamaha 2400 or the denon 3803.. Are there any other recievers around these models with that feature. Just want to get a good list to choose from.

Thanks
Nick.S

Rob Grim

Stunt Coordinator
Nick, I beleave you've pretty much narrowed it down. I'm sure there are other receivers out there that have this feature I just can't think of them at this time. From personal experience, I much prefer the Denon over the Yamaha. I like a more neutral sound out of my receiver and Polk speakers. The Yamaha just seemed a bit bright for my taste. Don't get me wrong, both the Yamaha and Denon are excellent receivers full of bells and whistles but I choose the Denon. I recently purchased the new Denon AVR-3805 and the Denon DVD-2900 to replace my existing Sony STR-DA4ES receiver and Sony DVP-NC685V DVD/SACD player.

Steve Adams

Second Unit
the Newcastle 963 would be a very good choice but just a little over your price range. 1199. I have been investigating sherwood newcastle products recently because in the next little while I am going to be buying a pre/pro and a 7 channel amp. From what I found so far, these systems are very very solid with an awsome sound.

it's worth your while to have a look!

cabreau

Second Unit
Posted: March 18th, 2004
03:23 PM
Post (#5 of 8 posts)

Rob Grim
Virginia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Local Date and Time:
April 27th, 2004
10:08 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just covered this on another thread. This is what I found on HK's site

It seems all the other newer model HK's state, if you run component, s-video or composite video into the receiver you must also run component, s-video and composite to your tv also. I've never had any experience with HK so maybe someone that currently owns a HK can chime in to correct me if I am wrong. But from what I've read on there site, it doesn't look like they have the video conversion.

Hope this helps.

Yes, that is true. If you go into my HK AVR-330 with composite, you must go out with composite, if you go in with S-Video you must go out with S-Video. I'm wondering if any receivers out there have Faroudja built in.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
The Onkyo 900 / 901 upconverts svideo to comp. Onecall has (had?) them on sale.

The Onkyo has a neutral sound. I prefer it over the yamaha and denon.

cabreau

Second Unit
The new AVR 7300 from Harman Kardon has built in Faroudja to deinterlace Composite and S-Video and bring them up to component. That model is about $1399 online. Yamaha's RX-Z9 does it also using Faroudja, but it's $3600.

The HK CAN upconvert composite and S-Video into Component...read here.

http://www.harmankardon.com/news_rev...AVR%207300.pdf

Marantz has some sort of upconversion on their receiver, but I don't think it's Faroudja based.

FEATURES
The SR9300V, now with HD compatible Video upconversion via the brand new VQ2400.

What the hell is the VQ2400? I imagine if it was a Faroudja chip, they'd mention Faroudja.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
That HK 7300 ROCKS. Talking about a complete Package. Maybe a thread should be dedicated to this new receiver alone. It you have the opportunity to get this, jump on it. I'm a HK fan and I know the sound will move you but with all the video qualities, wow. I don't think any other receiver do the video thing especially with a Faroudja chip.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Yes, head to Froogle.Google.com and search for AVR-7300. There are two vendors who have it listed for $1399.

Bob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Wayne, but I checked out both stores and they are not authorized, which doesn't bother me, but their ratings are atrocious.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Bob,

I'm sure we'll start to see the AVR-7300 carried by more reputable vendors at better prices.

I recall reading in another thread where the AVR-7300 isn't supposed to hit the streets and begin actually shipping until April 30th. I'm not sure how true this is, but if that is the case, we should start seeing reviews of this receiver soon. :)

cabreau

Second Unit
I did a search on pricegrabber, yahoo shops, and bizrate and found more than 10 who sell it for under $1400.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks