What's new

Networking question related to re-installing XP (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I have two machines networked together. I want to do a fresh re-install of Windows XP on one of them, but I want to avoid any difficulties re-establishing the network connection after the re-install (I had some problems getting it right the first time around).

So, before I do this, what settings on the re-install computer should I look for and document? Where, specifically, can I find them?

Thanks,

Jon

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Go to Start -- Run -- type "cmd" (without the quotes) -- type "ipconfig /all". Copy down the information given. There's lots of it, and you won't need it all, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

When you re-install go into Start -- Control Panel -- Network Connections -- Select your network adapter -- Right-click on it -- Select Properties -- Click on Internet Protocol(TCP/IP). This should give places to enter the information you copied down.

This should work perfectly fine unless you have some strange configuration. Also, make sure if you have any shared files or folders to go in and make those shared again after the re-install.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks