1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Networking question related to re-installing XP

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jon_Are, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I have two machines networked together. I want to do a fresh re-install of Windows XP on one of them, but I want to avoid any difficulties re-establishing the network connection after the re-install (I had some problems getting it right the first time around).

So, before I do this, what settings on the re-install computer should I look for and document? Where, specifically, can I find them?

Thanks,

Jon

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Go to Start -- Run -- type "cmd" (without the quotes) -- type "ipconfig /all". Copy down the information given. There's lots of it, and you won't need it all, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

When you re-install go into Start -- Control Panel -- Network Connections -- Select your network adapter -- Right-click on it -- Select Properties -- Click on Internet Protocol(TCP/IP). This should give places to enter the information you copied down.

This should work perfectly fine unless you have some strange configuration. Also, make sure if you have any shared files or folders to go in and make those shared again after the re-install.

3. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Thanks, Seth; that's exactly what I needed.

Jon