What's new

Network shows in digital? (1 Viewer)

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
Are any of the major network shows broadcast in Dolby Digital or DTS? I seem to remember seeing a bug at the beginning of some shows that said something to the effect of "surround sound where avaiable" but I cant remember the exact language.

I just watched CSI and didn't see any such credit.

Are any network shows in Dolby Digital/DTS or are they just prologic?

Justin Lott

Agent
Real Name
Justin Lott
When some of the standards were set for HDTV they were set for AC-3 Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound. As you may have picked up from some of the DD VS. DTS debates DTS is much less compressed. But there is only so much bandwith out there to go around DTS just eats up a lot of space. While it is nice to have the ambient spacing that DTS seems to provide. I don't think they will make the effort to ever change the standard.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
DTS is not part of the digital TV standard but it's not because DTS didn't try (although they were, as usual, too late to the party, and even then the high bitrate of DTS precluded any consideration of it). The FCC did throw DTS a bone by pointing out that since the digital TV standard allows for ancillary data, DTS (or anything else) can find its way onto HDTV as ancillary data, but as ancillary data it could not replace Dolby Digital which is mandatory.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks