What's new

Netflix-produced movies...will we get Blu-ray's and DVD's? (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I am hoping for a Criterion release of The Irishman. I really liked the movie and made sure I saw it in Theatres. I think the extras could really be amazing.

compulsivecollector

Auditioning
Real Name
Eldarion
The idea that maybe someone like Critereon could negotiate rights is interesting (for instance, for a limited run collectors edition). Anyone have experience with them in the past? I have a few titles from them, quality is good and all, but the selection is quite eclectic.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The idea that maybe someone like Critereon could negotiate rights is interesting (for instance, for a limited run collectors edition). Anyone have experience with them in the past? I have a few titles from them, quality is good and all, but the selection is quite eclectic.
Criterion is a fabulous video distribution company. I really like the supplements they include with their releases- some of which you won’t find on other company’s releases of the
same titles. The Silence Of The Lambs Criterion edition has a commentary track that you can’t get on the MGM release- highly recommended listening.

Carol Mitchell

Auditioning
Real Name
Carol Mitchell
I really wish Netflix would release Okja on DVD & Blu-ray.

Like many of you I'm upset by this.

Because of this, I've lost my respect for Netflix original movies, because I think it's unfair of Netflix to deny those a permanent copy of their movies who prefer a permanent copy of those Netflix original movies they enjoy.

I also don't think streaming will never replace DVDs & Blu-rays.

Anybody have any suggestions other than writing to them? I'm already planning on writing to them.

Meanwhile, we should consider starting a campaign to make a DVD & Blu-ray release of Okja happen.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I really wish Netflix would release Okja on DVD & Blu-ray.

Like many of you I'm upset by this.

Because of this, I've lost my respect for Netflix original movies, because I think it's unfair of Netflix to deny those a permanent copy of their movies who prefer a permanent copy of those Netflix original movies they enjoy.

I also don't think streaming will never replace DVDs & Blu-rays.

Anybody have any suggestions other than writing to them? I'm already planning on writing to them.

Meanwhile, we should consider starting a campaign to make a DVD & Blu-ray release of Okja happen.

I've written, emailed and phone-called them about this issue, specifically citing OKJA and MUDBOUND. "There are no plans at this time..." etc. Generic answer. We won't get better. I don't know that a petition would affect their policies, but even worse, I don't think we'd get all that many signatures. Sorry for the pessimism, but perhaps Criterion's ROMA release and the forthcoming IRISHMAN and MARRIAGE STORY is reason for hope, perhaps even for older titles.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
With respect to the comment “streaming will never replace Blu-rays and DVDs”:

Ten years ago, consumer spending on physical media - Blu-rays and DVDs - was $20 billion dollars.

Last year, consumer spending on physical media was $3 billion dollars, and the combined revenue for digital sales and streaming subscription services was about $20 billion.

For the vast majority of consumers, it already has.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Ten years ago, consumer spending on physical media - Blu-rays and DVDs - was $20 billion dollars.

Last year, consumer spending on physical media was $3 billion dollars, and the combined revenue for digital sales and streaming subscription services was about $20 billion.

I will be dead and gone before I allow streaming to replace my acquisition of physical discs.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I will be dead and gone before I allow streaming to replace my acquisition of physical discs

The problem with that is you might not have a choice in the matter, as shown by the topic of this very thread...

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

No doubt the public has mostly moved on to streaming BUT I still see the $3 billion as a positive because that's more than enough to keep studios making physical media.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Agree (if that number stays stable), but we’re already seeing the transformation of it from being a mass market product to one that’s increasingly produced in smaller batches for online ordering. Nothing wrong with that, but it also means that it won’t be the driving factor in what decisions get made as it once was.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Am I the only one seeing the irony in people saying physical media is doing fine in a thread about how Netflix isn't releasing their movies on physical media?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I have to wonder if for every original production that Netflix signs on to, is there a "period of exclusivity" signed explicity into the contracts where it will not be anywhere else until that time period expires? (ie. Besides bittorrent).

This might mean no dvd/bluray, no other streaming services, no tv syndication reruns, etc .... until that period of exclusivity has expired.

Basically the period of exclusivity expires by the time that particular original production is no longer current "water cooler talk".

I'm guessig to keep subscribers around, they need to keep on producing new original productions to continue that current "water cooler talk" and relevance.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I have to wonder if for every original production that Netflix signs on to, is there a "period of exclusivity" signed explicity into the contracts where it will not be anywhere else until that time period expires?

Who do you see Netflix needing to sign these contracts with?

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Am I the only one seeing the irony in people saying physical media is doing fine in a thread about how Netflix isn't releasing their movies on physical media?

No irony at all. Physical media is doing well with collectors of classic films, with a half-dozen (even with TT apparently gone and Olive seemingly sinking) or more very healthy niche companies flooding us with great choices. Netflix (and others may follow) is specifically narrowing the Blu-ray choices for contemporary films. But, overall, as a huge collector and film aficionado, even when Netflix does not allow movies I'd like to own to be released for me to add to my shelves, I have been a very happy camper with Kino, WAC, Criterion, Shout, and several others.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
For example, who owns House of Cards and how exactly did Sony get the rights to eventually release the dvds/blurays ?

Going by the title of this thread, the topic we're talking about is "Netflix produced movies," so those are what we're specifically referring to. Content they produce like "Stranger Things," not content they license like "House of Cards."

To answer your quoted question - look back at the 3rd post where it was discussed...

Last edited:

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
No irony at all. Physical media is doing well with collectors of classic films, with a half-dozen (even with TT apparently gone and Olive seemingly sinking) or more very healthy niche companies flooding us with great choices. Netflix (and others may follow) is specifically narrowing the Blu-ray choices for contemporary films. But, overall, as a huge collector and film aficionado, even when Netflix does not allow movies I'd like to own to be released for me to add to my shelves, I have been a very happy camper with Kino, WAC, Criterion, Shout, and several others.

I think you're looking at a snapshot of how the industry is today, not where it's headed, and therefore you aren't seeing how it will affect your physical media purchasing in the future.

If I'm reading you right, you acknowledge that there is a current challenge in getting new films being produced by companies like Netflix on physical media, but you are happy to get all the catalog films that are available.

The problem with that is that as physical media becomes even smaller of a niche, it will become more valuable for studios to hold onto their catalog titles the same way they are holding onto their new titles in order to get you to subscribe to their services to view them.

Any money they get from licensing to Shout, Kino, etc will be so small that it will make more sense for them to hold onto it to get someone like you to subscribe to Disney+ and HBO Max.

In other words, it will soon make more financial sense for Warner to keep The Philadelphia Story exclusive to Warner Max, rather than make relative pennies licensing it to Criterion, so that more people will pay $14.99/month for their service, which is the revenue stream their shareholders are most likely to pay attention to.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

I'd like for them to do the same for The Kissing Booth-- I thought Joey King was really good in that Netflix original film, and I'd like to have a disc of it as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks