Netflix: are they OAR safe?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin_W, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Kevin_W

Kevin_W Second Unit

Just want to make sure as I am filling in my rental queue that I am safe in that all the movies are widescreen. I didn't know if I should be looking at every movie's description to make sure it says enhanced for 16x9, or perhaps they've adopted a widescreen only policy. Thanks in advance.

Kevin

2. Todd Bennington

I haven't had any OAR problems with them. Obviously if the DVD is only released in P/S, then there's not much that can be done. Otherwise they always appear to stock WS copies.

3. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    All the movies I get from Netflix are widescreen. Many are DTS versions also if there is a choice.

4. Kevin_W

Kevin_W Second Unit

Thanks guys. Now if only BlockBuster would adopt such a policy.

Kevin

5. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

I know that at some point Netflix had a whole bunch of P&S Mummy Returns. I don't know what they did with that stock.

6. Paul Penna

Paul Penna Supporting Actor

Paul
    My "Harry Potter" was P&S and went back unwatched. I exchanged some email with them, but mainly got automated responses along the lines of "be sure to check our description for the format," "did you check the disc menu to choose the right version?" and "some films are available fullscreen only." My response, to the effect that the disc itself was labelled "fullscreen" and that yes, indeed, it's available in a separate widescreen version, did not elicit a personalized reply, but they did at least immediately credit me with a return prior to their actually receiving the disc back. I guess that counts as a refund of sorts. Their page for the film still says "widescreen."

7. rbirk

rbirk Stunt Coordinator

I have rented many movies from them and always got the widescreen version when there has been a chice. I do however also make sure it is widscreen before selecting. There are a few titles (like Mummy) they had in P&S, but it seems to be very few.

Ron Birk

8. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    The only OAR violation I've had from Netflix was Airport. Pretty good percentage of success considering I've been using them since August of 2000.