What's new

Need your input!! (1 Viewer)

MarkLaf

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking at a new Reciever I have a txsr 600 from onkyo now. I like it functionality wise and sound wise! I am looking at the txsr 800 or the NAD 762. I would like your input on which reciever you would choose and why! Its going in a room 15 wide by 25 long gable wall starts roof line at 6' and roof is at 14'

Thankyou

Mark

Mark Dickerson

Stunt Coordinator
Mark:

The TX-SR600 is a fairly new unit. I am surprised you would want to replace it so soon if you like it functionally and sound-wise.

I have compared an Onkyo 800 head to head with an NAD 742 (which shouldn't be a fair comparison since the 742 costs $350 less) and the 742 was far superior in the sound it reproduced. It resolved the sound better (I could hear background dialogue and other sounds clearly out of the NAD where it sounded muffled when played through the Onkyo). In music, the NAD was warmer and more focused, providing a more realistic sound-stage. And despite its 50 wpc rating, the 742 sounded more authoritative than the Onkyo's 100 wpc---probably because the NAD has a better power supply. Overall, the TX-SR800 is a very nice unit and it does a very good job, but the NAD was so much better, I found the difference startling. It was more like listening to quality separates than a receiver.

If you are looking at a 762, I can only believe that it would be even better than its little brother.

MarkLaf

Stunt Coordinator
Great thanks for the info!! I heard about some new NAD stuff coming out anyone have any info on this?

Mark

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,

I don't have any knowledge of NAD products, but I have owned the 800 for about three months. It sounds quite good to me considering I upgraded from a 10-year-old Technics receiver. Due to your large-sized room, however, I would highly reccommend steering clear of the 800. It simply does not have the power.

The 800 has the THX Select rating. My understanding of LucasFilm's THX rating system is that A/V receivers rated "Select" are designed for smaller listening environments, whereas the products rated "Ultra" or "Ultra2" are more powerful and designed for larger listening areas.

I acquired this knowledge from another forum after buying the TX-SR800. Don't repeat my mistake. I would highly reccommend the 800 for a smaller room, however.

Dave

MarkLaf

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for he input I am going to look at the next model up from onkyo then!

MArk

MathBrisk

Grip
The T762 is simply the best receiver for its price. In fact, its much better than many more expensive receiver. You have to hear it to believe it :) And like Mark Dickerson said in an earlier post, even the T742 sounds much better ! My recommendation, listen to them both and make your decision based on what YOU prefer :) Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks