What's new

Need to seperately calibrate BOTH component inputs? (1 Viewer)

This is such a great place... you guys rock! I have a question for the calibration people out there:

If a TV has multiple inputs of the same type, i.e. component video, can settings obtained by calibrating one input be applied to the other input(s) with the same results?

I have a Toshiba 57h82 TV, and I recently purchased the DVE calibration DVD. Using this DVD I have calibrated the ColorStream 1 input, which is the component video input used by my DVD player.

I also have HD digital cable, which I have connected to ColorStream 2, the 2nd component video input on my TV. The TV stores independant settings for each input, so I need to calibrate ColorStream 2 as well.

My question is... will I get good results if I just set ColorStream 2 with the same settings I set on ColorStream 1? Or should I actually plug the DVD player into ColorStream 2 and go through the whole process again?

I understand that settings obtained for an S-Video or composite video input won't apply to a component video input and vice versa.

Thanks in advance,
Seth

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator
As a starting point you should set your colorstream2 settings to the values you got with colorstream1, and then adjust "by eye" to customize the settings for your HD receiver.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Generally on most if not all TV's ... you cannot calibrate for the input. If the TV has 5 component inputs ... you cannot calibrate for them separately. (User menu memories aside).

You calibrate for the signal type ... be it 480i component or 480p or S-video or composite video or HD or ...etc. If you optimize for 480p let's say ... then the signal should look identical on all 5 component inputs. (equalizing all the user settings)

Regards

> Generally on most if not all TV's ... you cannot
> calibrate for the input. If the TV has 5 component
> inputs ... you cannot calibrate for them separately.
> (User menu memories aside).
>
> You calibrate for the signal type ... be it 480i
> component or 480p or S-video or composite video or HD
> or ...etc. If you optimize for 480p let's say ... then
> the signal should look identical on all 5 component
> inputs. (equalizing all the user settings)

Hmmm... so this means that I can (and have) calibrated for all 480p signals using my progressive scan DVD player.

I also want to calibrate for the non-HDTV cable channels as well as the few channels that are actually broadcast in HD. I believe, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that the non-HD cable signal is either broadcast, or upconverted by by set, to 480i. So could I calibrate the TV for this signal by turning off the progressive output of my DVD player? (or by plugging in my old, interlaced player)

And if that's the case, do I have any method, other than tuning by eye, to calibrate the 1080i HD signal? (I believe my set upconverts 720p to 1080i, so this is the only HD resolution I need to worry about)

Sorry for all the questions, I'm still new at this. I do appreciate the answers.

Seth

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator
I own two Toshibas -- a 43H70 HD RPTV and a 32HFX71 HD direct view CRT. They both have separate settings for each input -- ColorStream1 and ColorStream2 do not automatically have the same settings.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

On the Toshiba sets ...

Ant has its own user memory
Video/S-video separate
component 1
component 2
DVI

For a total of 5 user memories.

For professional calibration

480i via component
480p via component
DVI
1080i via component
S-video/composite

these all tend to have separate memories on some sets ... and are lumped together on others.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks