Upgrade time has come..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Teddlie, Feb 2, 2002.

1. Jon Teddlie

Jon Teddlie Stunt Coordinator

Time to upgrade my Sony receiver. I have my eye on two replacements. Pioneer Elite VSX-49TX and the Outlaw 950/770 pre/pro amp combo. Both have advantages over the other, I like the Pioneer because it offers auto speaker calibration,composite and s-video to component conversion so I only need to use one input on my Mits, and 3 component inputs (I will use all). The Outlaw combo sounds awesome too obviously the whole seperates sound better thing comes in play here, also the 950 seems to have alot of fine tuning features etc...
    I would go ahead and wait for the Outlaw combo but the Pioneer has a few features I'm really interested in listed above. I have asked for input before and finally have the cash to spend, so I would really appreciate any input on this subject. Thanks! Oh and I know the Outlaw hasn't been released so I'm not really asking for sound quality comparisons just overall features and value between the two.
    Gear I'll be using it with:
    Mits WS65819
    Diva Swan 6.1,C3,R3's
    SVS 20-39pc
    Thanks in advance.
    Umm where is the spell checker around here?? [​IMG]

2. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale

3. Jon Teddlie

wow quick replies thanks! What is your opinion of the remote? Also what about the adjustability as far as bass management and crossover adjustments etc? Thanks again!![​IMG]

4. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

Just my opinion, and since I've heard neither of the two potential candidates, take it for what it may be worth.
    Generally, however, I've found that moving to seperates will yield a better improvement. I agree that these new flagship receivers are bloody good sounding, but I've always found that seperates are superior.
    In your shoes, if I were looking to upgrade a receiver, I would consider the seperates route. [​IMG]
    /Jeff

5. Jon Teddlie

Alright, one last question for you Rajeek, do you know if the audio dropouts occur with the DD5.1 tracks on Pearl Harbor,JP3, or Atlantis DVD's? Thanks again.