What's new

Need to magnetically shield my A/V Recv. (1 Viewer)

Max Jacobs

Auditioning
the picture
Here's my entertainment center. It looks like I'm getting a magnetic field from the power supply of my A/V receiver (Denon 3801), which is causing a distortion spot to show up on my TV (JVC 27" tube). I don't think it's the other components, since none of them pack the power of the receiver. The speaker shouldn't be causing it, since it's a shielded center channel (Energy Encore).
The diagram does a better job of explaining it than I could. The power supply of the receiver is on the left-hand side of the case (looking from the front), so it is pretty close to the TV tube. Moving the receiver is not really an option (unless it's my only one).
I'd like to shield the receiver, if possible. I was thinking of getting a piece of sheet metal and bending it into an "L" shape. I'd place it so that it was between/under the receiver and the TV. Does anyone have any input on whether or not this will work? Does anyone have any better ideas?
Thanks!
-max

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
You pic didn't show up so I'm not sure of the placement of your equipment

Hmmm, I'm not an EMC engineer (although I work with a few) but your metal plate may work. Just make sure you ground it so that any interference is "drained" to ground.

In the same vein, a simple foil sheet (grounded also) may work. Good luck.

Max Jacobs

Auditioning
It seems that I can't include the picture as part of my post, which is probably because of my provider (geocities). :angry:
So, I've created a link to the pic, which seems to work okay. Bob, thanks for the advice. What's an easy way to ground my 'barrier'? Also, do you think it will pick up a charge? I'm only trying to block a magnetic field. (I'm an amateur when it comes to electro-magnetic fields.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks