What's new

Need Speakers that will work in corners (1 Viewer)

Bolivar G

Second Unit
Hello all,

Been lurking here for the past few weeks, reading a ton and trying to play catch up. This is my 1st post also now that I got something to ask from all you very knowlegeable people(wow what a great site this is for information).
I'm slowly completely upgrading my HT. Just did my 1st upgrade on the DVD player, from Tobisha SD-3109 to Kenwood DV-5900M 400+ disc changer. Next upgrade will proably be the reciever, got my eyes set on the Denon 4802 most likely.

Now comes to my question and problem, Speakers! Choosing good speakers seems to be the hardest upgrade of a HT. I need good sounding speakers that will work in corners. My problem is I have a very small room, around 9X12 so am forced to place the speakers in corners, which I read is not a very good thing to do. I been checking out Def tech because of the built in sub help me to save room, but I dont think they would work well in corners been bipolar and all? Also this new Rockets speakers look very nice but I dont think anyone has had a chance to test those out yet? I would proably pick up a set of those if I knew I could place them in corners efficiently. Also been checking out B&W's. I have $1000-$2000 to spend on mains
Any information you can provide me with is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
George

Walt N

Second Unit
The only speakers I've heard that work great in corners were the old Klipschorns, but they're huge and expensive. Corner placement worked well with these because the adjacent sidewalls worked as an extension of the horns themselves.
Given your room size I'd stick with monopole speakers as dipole and bipole types need room to reflect properly. I would place a sub in one of the front corners and then place the speaker of your choice directly in front of it, with the other main in a corresponding position on the other side. With each speaker try to avoid having an equal distance between the rear wall and the side wall. A large amount of toe-in will help reduce sidewall reflections, but in any case some sidewall treatment at the reflection point between you and the speaker drivers would be beneficial to reduce smearing of the image. A bookcase isn't bad, a hung rug is better, sound absorbant foam squares are better yet, and DIY sound absorbtion panels are best as they will absorb lower frequencies than the others mentioned. http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/a.htm
I've tested the Rockets and I love them (in a platonic way). Highly recommended. Good luck!

Bolivar G

Second Unit
Walt, thanks for the reply.
Since you tested the rockets, do you think I could use the RS750's in the matter you described with a subwoofer and toed in? Dont know why but I just like the look of these speakers without even hearing them or them been thurrowly tested yet. :D

Walt N

Second Unit
They've been thoroughly tested alright. By a few of us anyway and I have the burnt tweeters in my basement to prove it. :) (Sine wave generator + beer = bad mojo)
To answer your question, I'm guessing you'd find them as capable, involving, and endorphin releasing as do I. I listen to everything from Fusion and Bebop Jazz, "Classic" Rock (jeez, I still think it's cutting edge!), Symphonic and Chamber Orchestrations, and my favorite vocalists of the recent few decades through these things and they shine on everything I throw at them. If you listen to a lot of Gangster Rap you're on your own. ;) (Get a really good sub!)

Bolivar G

Second Unit
I should have added on my orginal post that I will do around 90% HT / 10% music.
But it sounds like these speakers are turning out as good as I heard the Diva's were.

Walt N

Second Unit
They're great for HT too. Sorry, I'm a musician and tend to think musicentrically but I do tend to think that what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Mine are in a multi-channel music/HT 5.1 configuration so I have used them for both extensively.

Bolivar G

Second Unit
Does anyone else have anymore recomendations or information? Just trying to get as much information possible before making decisions. Thanks in advance to anyone who replies, will be checking back later tonight.

Larry Becker

Agent
I have my Energy Veritas 2.3's in a corner-type setup. The TV is in the actual corner, then the two mains are off-set around that. Not ideal, but ok.
The interesting thing about the Veritas speakers is the surround speakers -- the dipolar 2.0R's. They have a switchable setting, one setting of which is actually for corners, to minimize the reflections. from the side wall.
They are reviewed pretty well lately in the popular mags, and I really recommend the Veritas setup. The 2.3 mains are under $2k, the 2.0C is about $750, and the 2.0R's are
about $1k for the pair. GoodGuys sometimes has sales...

Larry

Bolivar G

Second Unit
I do remember seeing Energy speakers at Goodguys, just no clue which models they carry. Will have to give them a good listen next time Im by Goodguys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks