What's new

Need some big time resume advice! (1 Viewer)

Cary_H

Second Unit
In regard to the "gap" thing, I would only leave a gap if it was a necessity to keep it from running beyond two pages.
I have all sorts of gaps in my current resume for two reasons. First, to keep it to two pages as above, and secondly, to allow room to list a very important, not to be left out job from long ago.
My gaps allow me to keep it short and sweet. I prefer to leave out employment that isn't relative to the posting I'm applying for than have my resume run onto a third page.
When and if they ask I tell them the truth. This one job was long ago but it remains my "ace in the hole", and I'll do anything to keep it in.
I also tailor my resume and it's cover letter to ANY and ALL postings I decide to apply to. I just make sure that dates and jobs don't conflict from one to another.

I'll say it again....if you're qualified for the job, a tight resume and cover letter can make or break whether or not you make it to second base.
That's only the start.The vast majority are dead meat the moment they walk into the interview. Once you educate yourself in some basic interviewing skills you'll see the whole scenario unfold like you wrote the script yourself, and be ready to avoid making the fatal mistakes that will lay waste to all but the best of your competitors.
I've been there, done that.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Congrats on your degree, a couple of tips:

Between Computer Skills and Experience, maybe add a section for courses taken, that was always a converstation starter in interviews for me.

In Experience, don't want to sound to harsh but there's too much clutter, it's a little unreadable. You should remove a couple of items from each position and every task should be on a new line and bulleted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks