What's new

Need some advice and opinions (1 Viewer)

Billy*C

Auditioning
I've dedided to upgrade from my 8 year old Kenwood K-VR 7080 Pro Logic II receiver to something more current. I have had good luck over the years with Kenwoods, but the general consensus on this board seems to be their are better products for similar prices. I listen to music as often as I watch movies, so I am looking for a jack-of-all-trades so to speak. My budget will allow for me to spend around $500. Any advice will be considered and appreciated.

Thank you so much,

Billy

John S

Senior HTF Member
The H/K AVR-525 is the one I am sugesting these days in that price range.

You'll have to do some searching to get it close to your $500 mark though.

Billy*C

Auditioning
Is that an older model? I could not find it on their website. I did find some for sale though.

My old KW was rated at 100wt w/ .09 THD, the HK is rated at 70wt w/ .07 THD. How much of a difference will this make. I do like loud (but not distorted) music when the time is right. All my speakers are rated at 100wt. Is it better to under power them, or over power them? I did read on a thread that HK has had some reliability issues of late.

Sorry for all the questions, but I need this AVR to be reliable for many years. As much as I would like to have the best of the best when new products come out, I usually stick with what I have. If it's not broke don't fix it. Remember, I have languished away for years with DD Pro Logic II because my KW worked well.

Like I said I will consider all. The reason I came to this board was to get opinions from people more knowledgeble than me.
Thank you,

Billy

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
in that same class, but maybe just a touch "higher-end", i would suggest (in no particular order):

yamaha, denon, hk, and onkyo.

or, check out the outlaw 1050 (outlawaudio.com) - it's a very well respected receiver around here. just do a search.

don't get caught up in the specs. choose a receiver for it's feature set - they're all pretty darn close in performance. close enough where it should be a null issue.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Do not be decieved, that H/K's 70 watts will absolutely blow away your older Kenwood.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks