Need quick help with 480p vs. 480i

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn Shultzaberger, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

Dec 2, 2000
    I belong to a Chevy Truck forum and there was a post in the off topic section that went something like this:

2. TimTurtino

TimTurtino Stunt Coordinator

Dec 17, 2002
    The article's gist is correct, although . . . oddly . . . phrased. You don't actually need an HDTV monitor (what the article calls "HDTV ready TV") to get the benefit of a progressive scan DVD player, but
    A) Almost every HDTV monitor will show progressive scan in all its glory, and
    B) Most analog TVs (whether or not they have component video inputs) can not show progressive scan.
    There are (I believe) exceptions to both statements above, but they're true in the vast majority of cases. I can't actually produce a counterexample to either off the top of my head...
    There's a gray area here-- there are some TVs that are digital but _not_ HDTV, and some of these can show progressive scan (if, for instance, they are EDTVs). These TVs are fairly rare if you're not buying a plasma screen or an older projector. Again, this is a fairly small issue.
    Basically, the article is mostly right, and your edit captures the issue well.
    However, I would still buy a good progressive scan DVD player, and then use that to justify buying my HDTV monitor. [​IMG]